PDA

View Full Version : DIY Metal Halide Hood

jeeper
03/16/2004, 06:22 PM
I don't know that I'm going to build one yet but I'm looking for info on how to build a DIY metal halide hood. My concerns are particularly how do I maintain heat insulation between wood top and metal halide reflector. Also how have people been securing the glass below the lamps so the heat does not transfer to unwanted areas like the wood.

I know that if I were doing this elsewhere I would need something like drywall or the cement-like fire board which I do not know the proper name for. After all I don't want to torch my house.

I have already performed some net searches but come up with lots of sales info on products and no DIY info. Dang the nets searches have changed in a few years.

Bruddah Chrispy
03/16/2004, 07:20 PM
Aloha e Jeeper,

I built a stand and canopy (MH) for my 55g. There are pictures in my gallery. It was a blast.

To address your specific questions...
- I attached 3 strips of firring (1x2) to the top of the aquarium. They run from front to back (i.e., not lengthwise) and serve as bracings for the lid. The reflector is attached to these. This gives me about an inch between the reflector and the lid.
- I don't have any glass below the lamps. I have about 10" of air between the lamps and the water. This allows me to work in the tank without removing the canopy.

If you've got any other questions, just ask away.

FWIW - this thread would be better in the DIY forum.

jeeper
03/16/2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Bruddah Chrispy
FWIW - this thread would be better in the DIY forum.

I'm reposting there thanks for direction and answer. I'll come back here and try a delete at a latter time.

I'm moving this to proper forum any answer there would be appreciated

I'm new to this board but have enough board experience I'll take suggestions well.

ONAGI
03/16/2004, 09:47 PM
bump