PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!

cadd
03/16/2004, 04:53 PM
Hi,
just a couple of simple questions i would like to be answered.I have a 2 1/2 foot tank which i am going to convert into a saltwater tank.And i am getting a new heater and light,but all i want to know is what other products to i need to buy

thankyou

also do u have to have a proteim skinner:wavehand:

Bruddah Chrispy
03/16/2004, 05:07 PM
Aloha e Cadd,

First off, Welcome to Reef Central!! This is a great resource.

You have a 2 1/2 foot tank. I assume that is the length, BTW.

Before you jump in to the hobby I definitely recommend spending some time reading and learning. It is much more difficult than raising a hamster or a child. ;)

You'll want to determine your filtration method. Personally, I use Live Rock (LR) and a Deep Sand Bed (DSB). In addition I have a protein skimmer. But these were all decisions I made after reading quite a bit. You'll have a number of people say that I'm nuts for having a DSB (it's an on-going debate around here).

You'll want to decide if you're going to have a sump. They sure are handy, but they take up space. Maybe a refugium.

You'll have quite a few people say that first you need to decide what kind of tank you're going to have. Fish Only? Reef? Something in between? Personally, I'd say learn first then decide. Otherwise it's like asking a toddler what they plan to major in at college.

I'm afraid I can't offer many answers, only advice. Go slow, learn a lot, proceed with caution, don't run with scissors. Good Luck.

cadd
03/16/2004, 05:21 PM
hi thanks

i am wanting to have a reef tank.also do u have to have proteim skinners

cadd
03/16/2004, 05:23 PM
also what do you have to do when you have a water change and how often do you do these?

Darlene
03/16/2004, 05:24 PM
Ha, Ha!! I loved your lines "don't run with sissors" and "more difficult than raising a hampster or a child". I've got three boys, all teenagers right now and with all the questions I've been having about my aquarium lately, I might agree.

Cadd, do take it slow. I jumped in before I had a clue what I was doing and I'll probably end up replacing all the equipment I bought just 8 months ago. Finding out now that I don't have the right kind of filter, or a good protein skimmer and probably could use better lighting. So do your homework so you get what you need right from the get go. Good Luck!!

cadd
03/16/2004, 05:28 PM
hi thanks,i will defiantly ask everything i need to know before i set it up.

stolen_pass
03/16/2004, 05:37 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166836

MichaelD
03/16/2004, 05:40 PM
Most People have a protein skimmer around here. Some just use an "eco system" But after you see the goop it pulls out of the water I have trouble thinking on what it would be without it.

Find out the gallonage on your tank. A bigger tank is better because less fluctuations.

Reef Tanks need heavy lighting. So thats a big bit of research.

Do as much reasearch as possible and don't jump in too fast.

psiico
03/16/2004, 05:50 PM
Buy some books, or at least read all you can stand here in this forum and others. Do that before you spoend any money. Then if you haven't been scared off, you'll know what you need. And no, you don't need a skimmer, but you should have one. You'll have to do more/bigger water changes without one and you lose the safety margin it offers to your tank. If something dies and you don't see it the protein skimmer may just save your livestock.

nevpugh308
03/16/2004, 06:22 PM
There's some really good "sticky" threads on the newbie forum, read through all of these first.

Make sure the books you get are up to date, the hobby has changed a lot in the last few years (LR, LS, new filtration methods etc)