PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Reef question.(ES5-3)

donko79
03/16/2004, 04:50 PM
I am looking to purchase a Euro-Reef ES5-3. The listing on the site I was looking at said it is 24" tall. I have 26" of clearance in my stand. Will I be able to remove the collection cup or should I look at another model?

w3rdup!
03/16/2004, 05:00 PM
Ive got the ES6-2 model and there is no clearance height needed to remove the collection cup, its screws off and comes right off.

zrograviti
03/16/2004, 05:08 PM
I have 5-2 model, and you don't need much room to take the collection cup off, even 1/2" would be enough. Assuming that 5-3 is the same size as 5-2 and just taller and the size of the collectioncup is 6" tall, you would need 18" gap between the top of your sump to the top of the stand to take out the skimmer and clean once a while. Also, I don't know on 5-3 but if it is the same as 5-2, the water level should be 6-8" high which doesn't give you much water volume in your sump. just few things to consider. I mean if you are not tight with money, you can go with 6-1 for 100 more dollars and it will be much easier for you to do things. but some how if 5-3 doesn't work out and you don't want to spend extra $100, then you can down grade to 5-2. many say that euro skimmer is downgraded, and will be fine on your 75.

Originally posted by w3rdup!
Ive got the ES6-2 model and there is no clearance height needed to remove the collection cup, its screws off and comes right off.
Wow you got 6-2 on your 55 + 10?

jdallred
03/16/2004, 05:25 PM
As everyone else has already stated, no clearance needed. On the subject of water level in your sump, I also run an ES5-2 and to combat the water level restriction of 8" max I built a 2" platform from egg crate and set my skimmer on that. This way I can raise the water level in the sump to 10" and still have the skimmer at 8". Obviously if you decided to do the same your platform would be 1 1/2" tall but that would give you 9 1/2" in your sump instead of 8".

doliver
03/16/2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by zrograviti
I mean if you are not tight with money, you can go with 6-1 for 100 more dollars and it will be much easier for you to do things.

Hi zro -

Can you explain this a little more? I'm trying to decide between the 5-2 and the 6-1 for my setup... what makes the 6-1 easier to use?

Thanks!

w3rdup!
03/16/2004, 05:55 PM
Wow you got 6-2 on your 55 + 10?

Oops sorry actually its the 6-1, yea I had ordered a 5-2 for my 55 but they were out of stock at the time so they offered to give me the 6-1 for the same price.

zrograviti
03/16/2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by doliver
Hi zro -

Can you explain this a little more? I'm trying to decide between the 5-2 and the 6-1 for my setup... what makes the 6-1 easier to use?

Thanks!

Oh, not thing much. Just like jdallred said, since 6-1 is only 20" long you can raise the skimmer in sump with eggcrates or etc, then you will be able to have 12" water level. And also since the skimmer itself without the collection cup is 14" high, so it will be easier to put in and take out. other than those 2, nothing.
I have 26 1/2" clearance in my stand, and was thinking about putting 5-3 in, but after all the calculation it didn't work out for me. It might work for you depends on the demension of your sump. I wanted to maximze the refugium area and minimize the skimmer area and wanted about 12" water level in my sump. calculation came down to 24" - 6" = 18" (the height of 5-3 without the collection cup)
26 1/2" - 18" - 1/2" = 8" (1/2" for the thickness of the bottom of the sump)
that means the height of my sump had to be 8" (or maybe 10" at max). so I went with 5-2 so my sump can be taller.

Originally posted by w3rdup!
Oops sorry actually its the 6-1, yea I had ordered a 5-2 for my 55 but they were out of stock at the time so they offered to give me the 6-1 for the same price.
Lucky you.. wanna trade? lol