PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend a HOB filter for a 29 gal tank?

fastredponycar
03/16/2004, 02:03 PM
In my quest to avoid having to create a sump setup for my 29 gal tank, I'm looking for the best HOB filter and skimmer.

I've pretty much decided taht I'll be getting the AquaCRemora skimmer but still unsure on which type filter.

I'm leaning towards mabey an AquaClear or an Aquarium Systems Millennium 2000.

I've got a regular HOB dual cartridge filter that came with the tank that I used when I had fresh water fish but are those little blue mesh with carbon cartridge style filters acceptable for a reef tank?

thanks for any advice!

INNOVATOR
03/16/2004, 02:23 PM
AquaClear is probably the most widely used (assumption), especially if converting to a fuge *wink wink*

Your filter is probably a penguin or something similar (any biowheels?). The need for a biowheel or the cartidges aren't necessary since your lr and skimmer can handle your filtration needs; although, carbon does have its uses :P

nanocat
03/16/2004, 02:52 PM
I'm using an AquaClear 500 as a HOB fuge. It flows pretty strong (and the impeller is not interchangeable), but it works for me.

Other alternative would be the smaller 300.

marine61
03/16/2004, 03:22 PM
It sounds like you have enough live rock to do without an external filter unless you plan on using the filter to polish the water with activated carbon. How many fish do you have in the tank?

fastredponycar
03/16/2004, 03:52 PM
No fish yet. the tank is still new. I've had it going since the beginning of january and until tonight I get off work, the only light is a 10,000K coralvue 20 watt normal output floruescence bulb that I was using with my fresh water fish. The big brown truck dropped off my PC's this morning :D

I think the filter that I have (but not using) is a whisper brand. It doesn't have bio wheels. Just sucks water in and it goes through a filter on each side. The Aquaclear filters look like they can adapt to many different types of filter media which seems like it would be useful. The whisper can hold the cartridges and that's it but I didn't know if this would be fine to use. I didn't want to put them in there and have the carbon mess up the chemicals and stuff in the water cause right now all the nitrate, nitrite ammonia etc levels are nominal (according to what my LFS told me they should be).

The other reason that I'm thinking it might be a good idea (aside from what marine61 said about keeping the water squeaky clean) was for the extra water movement. I've got two maxijet 1200's but can't run both at once due to the incredible flow rate. However, when only 1 is running, it's spread is rather limited. I've got them going on a timer turning off and on every hour.

How much flow is exactly needed? Because I can live with coughing up $20 for a new filter. (Petco has em for $15.99) :D

fastredponycar
03/16/2004, 04:27 PM
hey nanocat, i just checked out the 500, how's yours setup for a fuge? That would be pretty sweet. Any pics?

Bax
03/16/2004, 04:28 PM
Prefaced by I am a nubie, I've read over and over not to be afriad of 30x on your flow. That would be 870 gph for you.

I have a CPR BakPak 2 and the 12" CPR AquaFuge I also use a catrige for carbon. So far so good. I just added my first fish but have tons of invert life from the TBS rock & clean up crew.

What innovator and nonacat are saying is you can use an aquaclear as a fuge too. That's no media except LS, LR rubble and macro algae for nitrate export. I've read that lots of people do that with the aquaclears and seem happy, no personnal experience though and I think there are threads on doing that try a search.

If you use any media in a filter, you want to change or at least clean it regularly as they become nitrate farms. Be picky about carbon too as some brands leach phosphates. Search that as well.

There's lots to read.

fastredponycar
03/16/2004, 04:44 PM
hey bax, is the bakpak loud? i read a few posts saying that it was??

nanocat
03/16/2004, 05:12 PM
Hi, no pics but there are several threads on modifying the Aquaclear by gluing in a piece of acrylic as a baffle on www.nano-reef.com, including some pics.

I have a little livesand in the bottom and quite a few LR, and some chaeto. I also have room for a good sized bag of Black Diamond carbon and Purigen when I want to run those. In fact, there's even room for a sponge, which I used for these first couple of weeks while my LR was still grunging.

The Aquaclear is quiet, but I can't say the same for my PrizmPlus skimmer. That sucker worked great from the moment I hung it (brown foam and good skimmate) but it DOES sound like a coffee perculator :D

Bax
03/16/2004, 05:14 PM
When new it was like living near the airport.

I extended the breather tube about 5' and ran it behind the kids nearby upright toy chest. That helped some. Played around with the tank and cup level, that helped some more. But, I don't know if it's a "break in" period or I've just gotten used to it, it sems much better now.

Skims really great too. For $125- $130 I think it was one of my better early expendetures in the SW tank. Followed closely by the 12" AquaFuge. Really nice especially with my size limitations.
The BakPak have a pretty small foot print as well. That was a great factor in my going with it and I am happy with it.

I know the Remora user will now throw rocks at me.

fastredponycar
03/16/2004, 05:24 PM
well, i'm still torn between the remora and bak pak. the pak is about $175 with the optional collection cup that allows for easy drainage. I also hear that it's pretty quiet. Just gotta wait till pay day to get all this stuff. I just dumped out a load of money on a DIY PC kit and tons of stuff from lowes to build the hood :)