PDA

View Full Version : vacation: fish feeding

TuftsReef
03/16/2004, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I'm going on vacation for 7 days next week and was wondering if there was anything i could put in the tank to feed the fish while i'm gone. what i mean by put in the tank is that i know for fresh water you can buy these food pyramids that slowly dissolve and feed the fish. would one of those work for saltwater?

i have an automatic feeder (that is not larger enough to feed the whole tank the way i normally feed it) and someone will be stopping by the house mid week that will feed fish but both of those combined is not as much food as i normally use. the fish could obviously get by pretty well but the closest i get to their daily amount the better. any suggestions?

Thanks

spyro
03/16/2004, 11:27 AM
Don't worry about feeding fish...they will be fine for 7 days with out food as long as they are presently well fed.
Do not use those" slow intank disolvable feeders" since they could do more damage than good.

stang8s
03/16/2004, 11:35 AM
i agree on not using the disolvable feeders, those things are the worst. I have a auto feeder i use that dumps some flake in 2x a day. Works fine for me.
Jeff

TuftsReef
03/16/2004, 01:43 PM
thanks.

good too know that the fish won't starve too much. as i said, i also have a feeder that will dump flakes in twice a day, so its good to hear that the feeder should take care of it until i get back. as expected, no one recommended using one of those disolvable pyramids which is a good thing i asked before i went out and got one.

thanks...

JustDavidP
03/16/2004, 02:27 PM
run the auto feeder on your kitchen table for a day or two to check that it is tweaked right. I've seen some that DUMP too much in at once. I'd rather not feed the reef for a week than to take the chance of polluting it.

Scuba_Dave
03/16/2004, 03:13 PM
If someone is going to feed them for you, make sure you measure out the food in advance. Some people ae a bit heavy handed on feeding, and will keep feeding as long as the fish "seem" to be eating it

Montec24
03/16/2004, 06:01 PM
I would worry more about topping off the water and making sure everything is running etc. If you dont have an auto top off sysetme I would find someone to take care of this for you.

TuftsReef
03/16/2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys,

I've pretty much been doing what all of you have been saying.

For the top off, which is normally a gallon or so a day, i put the glass covering that i had back on top of the tank. it will block of some light i'm sure but its better than having 5+ gallon evaporating.

also, i was going to set up the automatic feeder later this week to make sure everything is running properly. i'm not worried about excess food, its not a big feeder.

finally i was also going to make two bags for the person who will feed the fish as to stimulate a more regular feeding pattern. the first bag to put in the tank when she first comes in and the second one when she leaves later on in the day.

with this i think i should be all set...?