PDA

View Full Version : Is this RO/DI any good?

Bamm Bamm
03/15/2004, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking of buying a RO/DI for my apartment because I hate lugging water jugs up the stairs are these any good?>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2387185030&category=20756
I'm going to be just hooking up directly the my seat output and disconnecting when not in use if I decide to buy something like this

FishhyRen
03/15/2004, 02:02 PM
check out www.airwaterice.com Walter is very helpful plus you get a free TDS meter if you mention you saw it from Reef Central-

He'll set you up with everything you need- give him a try-
I have had the Typhoon II for over a year now, great unit!!

Bamm Bamm
03/15/2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks I might give him a call after lunch. I'm doign a search right now and am hearing good things about him.. About how many actual gallons a day does it make really 75?

pickle311
03/15/2004, 03:08 PM
I've got the one from filterdirect and it works great, glad I bought it

FishhyRen
03/15/2004, 05:29 PM
the actual gpd depends on the water pressure, water temp, and how dirty the water is--
to say it ACTUALLY produces that amount of water is probably not acurrate-- however I chose to do the 75GPD over the 100GPD (same price) b/c I'm not usually using THAT much per day and having 75GPD extends the life of the DI cartridge -- (higher rejection).

marinerules
03/15/2004, 05:49 PM
i guess i live in a good area for water

becasue i use water out of my sink and my tanks are crystal clear and I have shrimp, starfish, brittle stars and all

whirley
03/15/2004, 05:52 PM
I snagged one from AquaDirect on ebay. Check them out. I bought it for $90 including shipping...6 stage with 4 FREE DI's thrown in there...

AWESOME...went from 400 ppm to 4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381471288&category=46310&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

whirley

FishhyRen
03/15/2004, 06:11 PM
I'd hope it would be below 4ppm if it has a DI filter on it--
I get down to 7ppm from 420 through just a RO filter... I go all the way to 0ppm when it goes through the DI..

snooter1
03/15/2004, 06:38 PM
Just made 200 gallons through mine 225 TDS going in 0 comming out. Works great. Was making 40 gallons a day from my 75GPD unit. Higher presure would likely yeild more. Water was real cold as well.
Easy to set up. By the autoshut off when you buy in case you wish to automate the system. Save on shipping. Cheap part.

Bamm Bamm
03/15/2004, 08:52 PM
anyone have pictures of their setups?> I'm planning on just using it as needed off the sink in my apt. and setting the unit on the counter on its side or does it need to be mounted vertically? If so I could just make a mount for it..

Bamm Bamm
03/15/2004, 09:02 PM
anyone have pictures of their setups?> I'm planning on just using it as needed off the sink in my apt. and setting the unit on the counter on its side or does it need to be mounted vertically? If so I could just make a mount for it..

ivtec247
03/15/2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Bamm Bamm

tagging along.. would like to see this as well. I want to get a nice small unit I can stow awayt and break out as needed.. I live in an apartment as well, so not a lot of room. And, I'm not gonna even try to have something just hanging out near the sink making water the whole time, cause I know the gf wont go for it.

snookface1
03/16/2004, 11:49 AM
I have the 100 gpd unit and am very happy with it. I got it from e-bay and it also had the drinking water tank attachment with it for a little more. I hooked it up to my sink for drinking water, Ice maker and extra line for my tanks. You will not get the published production rates with any units. It will be 25% to 30% less due to you line pressure. They rate them at 80 psi which is not the standard pressure, so I would go for the larger system.

I mounted my system under the sink. It could be mounted at different angles, but I would not recoment too. Mount it vertical. They are very easy to install, but you will need to do some planning. You will need additional 1/4' fitting that you can get from Home Depot. Buy more than you need, and take the ones you do not use back.

ivtec247
03/16/2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by pickle311
I've got the one from filterdirect and it works great, glad I bought it

How big are these things? Any rough dimensions?

I'm looking at things like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=2387184841

snookface1
03/16/2004, 01:37 PM
If you look around some of the website give dimensions. The best I can remember it was 19" wide' 15" tall and about 5" deep. It will fit under your sink. You just need to plan the tub connetions. Here's a picture of my system.

ivtec247
03/16/2004, 02:21 PM
OK, after reading up on it a bit more, I'm now looking at this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2386076709&category=46310

Can someone set something straight for me?

So with the above setup, it will automatically filter and store 3-4gal of RODI water and stop when the container fills up?

When I use the drinking faucet it draws from this container? or draws from the tap through the filter?

When I use the ball valve to fill up the container I'd use for transferring water to my tank, it draws from the container?

Does the drain saddle require drilling into the piping? I live in an apartment and would like to avoid drilling wherever possible.

Thanks.

Icepic
03/16/2004, 02:37 PM
So with the above setup, it will automatically filter and store 3-4gal of RODI water and stop when the container fills up?

Correct .

When I use the drinking faucet it draws from this container? or draws from the tap?

Draws From the storage container.

"When I use the ball valve to fill up the container I'd use for transferring water to my tank, it draws from the container?

correct it will draw from the container , until empty and then staright from the filters until you turn valve back off .

yes the saddle drain will usally drill is own hole if it is self tapping if not you will need to put a hole in the pipe ..

being in an apt. i would look at the easest pipe on the drain line to replace when you move out ..

snookface1
03/16/2004, 02:46 PM
jadams18 is correct.

On the tapping of the line, you can get a screw tee from Home Depot for the supply line so you do not need to use the tapping sleve. You will need to tap in the drain line, but this generally PVC and when you move out put a little tape or sylicone on it and they will never know.

When the tank is empty it will come directly out to the filter, but it will just trickle. It takes my 100 gpd system 1 1/2 hours to fill a five gallon pale.

Icepic
03/16/2004, 03:12 PM
if you have like a closet were you can store water in a big container ,,, check out the system that ..

aquariumwaterfilter.com has ,

i just order a much bigger holding container from them ,, but i need to get like a 500 gallon holding tank..

Bamm Bamm
03/16/2004, 03:24 PM
what do you guys use to test the water? Is it really worth all the hassle? Now here's what I've heard also. Let me know if this is flase though. One of my buddies told me with his RO/DI it makes one good gallon of Ro/DI for every 6gallons it uses. So I guess the other 5 just go through the drain or??

snookface1
03/16/2004, 03:41 PM
Bamm Bamm, that is correct. You could put it in a bucket to water your plants, or anything else but I just let it go down the drain. I have well water so mine is going back into the ground. This is the same thing that is happening at your LFS that makes RO water, but there system is much bigger.

Icepic
03/16/2004, 03:55 PM
i want a 500 gallon tank to store the waste water to run stuff , like the toliets and washing machine and various other stuff around the house

Bamm Bamm
03/16/2004, 03:57 PM
Can I just run the waste line into the sink drain then, what if somehow the sink stops draining you know how sometimes they like to fill up with water if you don't turn the disposal on for a second.? My apt is kinda small to have a bunch of storage containers it's just a studio=)

snookface1
03/16/2004, 04:00 PM
Yes, but if it falls out you will have water everywhere. It is easy to tap the drain line and add the waste water line. If you do that you cant have you system turned all the time, only when you want water.

snookface1
03/16/2004, 04:02 PM
Yes, but if it falls out you will have water everywhere. It is easy to tap the drain line and add the waste water line. If you dont add the drain line (look at my picture its the red line) you cant have you system turned all the time, only when you want water.

Icepic
03/16/2004, 04:04 PM
ya you could stick the hose in the sink and let it run down the drain , if you garbage disposal is backing up then there is two much stuff going down the drain with out it running ...

but any how if that is a worry get a longer waste drain line , and put it out side and water the yard ..

ivtec247
03/16/2004, 04:41 PM
what is the rough volume of water waste generated per gal of RODI?

Icepic
03/16/2004, 04:58 PM
mine runs wide open at a 6 to 1 ratio .

6 to the waste one to the good , but if you have a flow restricter that could dramaticly change the out come

Bamm Bamm
03/16/2004, 05:04 PM
Can I just run the waste line into the sink drain then, what if somehow the sink stops draining you know how sometimes they like to fill up with water if you don't turn the disposal on for a second.? My apt is kinda small to have a bunch of storage containers it's just a studio=)