PDA

View Full Version : HELP I broke the Cardinals sen

Gidenites
03/14/2004, 08:10 PM
I had been doing so good growing slowly being patient, and then I went to a new fish store and got caught up in it all and purchased a sponge. I had always done research before purchasing anything but I slipped this time. All that said all I can find out is their hard to keep an I probably got in over my head, all help would be much appreciated thank you. All I can really tell you is it is orange and kind of shaped like a spade in poker. What kind of light level and water flow do you recommend.

K9
03/14/2004, 08:19 PM
Hmm, we'd need a pic or a better description to help you more. What did the salesperson at the LFS tell you it was? They didn't sell you something w/o knowing what it was, did they?

-K9

hdtran
03/14/2004, 08:21 PM
Sounds like a finger sponge or relative.

Sponges are filter feeders, not photosynthetic. So, lighting is not an issue.

Provide enough water flow to prevent debris from accumulating. Feed filter feeder food (e.g. microscopic plankton).

Gidenites
03/14/2004, 08:36 PM
It's like a flat orange circle that comes down to a foot it is solid about 4 inches tall and 3 inches wide and about a quarter inch thick.

K9
03/14/2004, 09:00 PM
Is it an anemone or maybe a soft coral? Does it have tentacles?

Kevomac
03/14/2004, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a venus sponge (a la the shell in the Boticcelli's Birth of Venus, or Venus on the Halfshell). Shaped kinda like a scallop shell that connects to a rock at its base? Seen them for sale before, but never brave enough to try one. Whatever you do, don't expose it to air ever. Bubbles can get trapped in it and lead to it dying from the inside out. Most sponges like good water flow and not a lot of light that could promote fatal algae growth on it. I've had mixed success with red tree sponges but no much else.