PDA

View Full Version : feeding anemone frozen foods?

z_rivers
03/14/2004, 07:01 PM
i hear people talk about feeding their anemones frozen food cubes. how do they do this? do you place teh frozen cube in the anemones mouth (i thought that doing this could hurt the anemone) or do you defrost it and then feed it to the anemone. i feed my tank san fransisco bay brand bloodworm and brine shrimp cubes. i was just wondering if i could feed the anemone these or what not.

-rivers

BonsaiNut
03/14/2004, 07:30 PM
Defrost it, put a couple of drops of selcon on it, and gently place it in the anemone's tentacles. The anemone will do the rest. Some frozen foods will break apart once they hit the water, but some are more substantial. I use the substantial ones :)

billpa
03/14/2004, 08:11 PM
hey z_rivers...what part of PA are you from? Re: frozen foods...best advised to thaw it out...Selcon works great...like Bonsai Nut said...a few drops is all you need...besides...the stuff can get expensive! anyone know where to get cheap Selcon?? I started feeding my BTA small silversides today...silversides, squid, that sort of food, will stay solid so all you have to do is gently place it at its tentacles and it will do the rest...very cool to see for the first time...good luck.

billpa

st-3
03/14/2004, 08:34 PM
I'll thaw out the cubes in tank water (sometimes with selcon) and give them to my Clarkiis. The Clarkiis always feed their anenomes before they eat anything themselves. I've done this work Formula 1, Silversides, Plankton, etc.

z_rivers
03/14/2004, 09:27 PM
billpa, i live near pittsburgh, bout 20 minutes north in butler county.

-rivers

mach
03/14/2004, 11:54 PM
How much is too much. I have a BTA. Its about 5" wide. Is it good to feed it a full cube of frozen mysis or aqua yums frozen clams. I usually give it about 1/2 a cube cut into tiny pieces. Could I give it 1/2 the cube or the whole cube at once? Or will it not be able to digest it?

billpa
03/15/2004, 08:40 AM
z_rivers...I'm on the other side of the state.

mach...has your BTA grown at all when you first got it? You can always try feeding it more...most likely won't take more if it doesn't want it.

mach
03/15/2004, 10:27 AM
Billpa, yes hes grown since i purchased him. He eats alot. I just dont know how much is too much. He seems to get bigger everytime I feed him. I feed him 3x aweek.

billpa
03/15/2004, 11:16 AM
I have heard it is best to feed small quantities frequently as opposed to large quantities a few times...I am feeding Emily ( my anemone :) ) everyday...small silversides...one in the morning and one or two at night...she loves them! Most people will feed them until they want to curb their growth...so I would continue with you regular regimen until your BTA becomes to be around optimal size (thats your personal taste)...then I would decrease feedings slowly to the point where you are feeding at a rate that it is sustaining itself. HTH...got any pics?

billpa

ezhoops
03/15/2004, 11:35 AM
when I first purchased my BTA it was eating whole large krill and now it will not eat them at all, it eats form 1 cubes. anyone have any ideas why?
thanks

billpa
03/15/2004, 11:39 AM
how long did it eat the large krill for?

pbanda
03/15/2004, 11:58 AM
FWIW... I feed frozen cubes occasionally... stick em right in her mouth (I know she is a females cause she just released a bunch of eggs a couple of weeks ago)

billpa
03/15/2004, 12:00 PM
yo pbanda...did jay ever get a hold of you for some frags?...I recommended you to him...what kind of anemeone do you have? any for sale :D

billpa

pbanda
03/15/2004, 12:10 PM
Yah... Jay got some frags off of me. Thanks.
It is a sebae (LTA)... but the eggs were never fertilized!! I have a pics of the spawning in the photography forum.

billpa
03/15/2004, 12:13 PM
sweet...I'll check them out.

billpa

ezhoops
03/15/2004, 12:23 PM
it ate krill for probably the first 2 -3 months I had it, I switched from PC to T-5's and has acted strangley ever since, also I have a pair of GSM that are pretty rough with it.

billpa
03/15/2004, 12:29 PM
lighting could play a really important role as you have increased it...it might not need as much food as your new lighting is supplementing it...have you seen your GSMs feeding your anemone? They might be.

Your BTA is doing fine otherwise...right?

billpa