PDA

View Full Version : The aquarium w/out corners

Crustaceo Mutoid
08/20/2001, 03:21 PM
Has anyone seen or know of such a thing for private use? I know some public aquariums use them. What would the benefits of a sphere shaped tank be? Better water currents, maybe? Maybe only part of the tank is curved, like an oval shape with a flat bottom or something. I suppose it would have to be acrylic as glass would be kinda tough to build it out of. Just brainstorming here.

What does everyone think? Let's hear some opinions.

Randy V
08/20/2001, 03:40 PM
I'm not looking for a sphere but I would like one shaped like a doughnut. I would like to partition off a section with eggcrate and house a reversible trolling motor so I could simulate some natural water currents. Strong, even, laminar flows reversing on tidal timetables.

Mr Neutron
08/20/2001, 04:02 PM
Round tank would be better for fish, IMO. In the ocean fish can swim without hitting a wall and same with a round tank.

meastman
08/20/2001, 04:15 PM
Check out the following source for cylindrical acrylic tanks:

http://nwcatalog.com/flyingfish/ffmodels.html

I don't know anything about this company, but it looks like you could do one impressive and natural looking setup with a sufficiently large tank.

derfnart
08/20/2001, 05:32 PM
I would be interested in having a tank that is an opposite bow front. It would be shaped like a giant 'U' basically, and you could stand inside the 'U' and basically turn 180 degrees and see the whole tank.

Or, I would like a large tank (it would need to be quite large) with a hemisphere somehow cut into the side? Top? Bottom? Which would provide an interesting, (unfortuantely slightly distorted) view of the aquarium from "within"

These aquariums while not always the most practical, they would definately make a great conversation piece :)

ChrisIsBored
08/20/2001, 06:48 PM
Rounded tanks are good for Jellies.. as they won't come in contact with corners...

They have one at SeaWorld of San Antonio. Pretty neat.