PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin 2100 or Sequence Dart pumps ?

nelson4u
03/11/2004, 03:26 AM
I was interested in the Dolphin 2100 pump for return on a 140 gal. Now I have heard about the Sequence Dart pump which is very similar to the Dolphin 2100. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons to either of these pumps ?

lilbuddy
03/11/2004, 09:21 AM
I can not say much about the sequence pumps, but I have "heard" good things about them. As far as dolphin pumps I have nothing but great things to say about them. I personally use them and have several customers that use them. In the past dolphin had a problem with leaks..they have fixed this problem.

moonpod
03/11/2004, 10:49 AM
personally I like the sequence pumps. Similar to Dolphins in concept and performance, but physically much smaller.

lilbuddy
03/11/2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by moonpod
personally I like the sequence pumps. Similar to Dolphins in concept and performance, but physically much smaller.

are they really? thats good to know..b/c on my current setup with a ampmaster 2700 I had to add a small piece of 2x4 behind my stand at the bottom to cover some of the pump that was extended past my stand. With my true union and elbow off the sump i was about 2" too long. I thought to myself a smaller pump would be nice!

From front to back about how long are they? or how long is yours?

Also have you used dolphin pumps and why do you like the sequence more then the dolphin? Just personal preference?

TIA
Mike

moonpod
03/11/2004, 11:23 AM
I didn't go Dolphin b/c of the seal problems. Several local reefers here have them and that discouraged me. I in fact had already purchased a Dolphin and then sold it.

My SEQ11 is 10.5" long and about 7 or 8" at the widest, much less towards the back of the motor. The SEQ12 is slightly larger.

Downside of the smaller Sequence pumps--2" intake--the plumbing parts are massive--the bulkhead needs a ludicrously large hole.

lilbuddy
03/11/2004, 11:27 AM
moonpod,
Thanks for the info.....I assume your friends had older dolphin pumps...I mean not the new ones with the improved seals? Everyone I know has the new ones and no problems yet..knock on wood...

2" intake is kind of big.

moonpod
03/11/2004, 11:38 AM
This was about a year ago. The larger sequence pumps use 1.5"

brian_V
03/11/2004, 05:19 PM
Which one is more quiet, Dolphin (Ampmaster) or Sequence ? I plan to buy either one for my new 175 gal tank. The overhead is about 4 ft. Which one should I use ? BTW, I plan to have 2 pumps. I also heard many good thing about Quiet One pumps ? How would this compare to Dolphin or Sequence ?

lilbuddy
03/11/2004, 07:54 PM
fwiw my ampmaster is about 13" long....IMO the dolphin pumps are quiet but I never used the sequence pump. Hopefully someone who has used both of these can jump in here.

as far as what pump to get for your 170 is really up to you on how much flow you want and how much flow your overflows can handle....Im using a ampmaster 2700 on my 180 with the t-union going to two 1" seaswirls....the tank is still being set up. I did have a 36000 when i had my 300g...and that was a lot of pump....

from what i have read and IME....you cant lose with either pump....

kim92111
03/12/2004, 04:04 AM
I have a Japanes Iwaki 30 or 40 (can't recall). It is a little loud and uses quite a bit of electricity. I'm thinking of switching to the new Sequences How is the noise compared to the Iwaki, the energy efficiency and heat dissipation? Does it heat the water similar to the AmpMaster?s

Qdoggie
03/12/2004, 06:30 AM
can the ampmaster pull water or do you need the primer pot attached??

nelson4u
03/12/2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by kim92111
I have a Japanes Iwaki 30 or 40 (can't recall). It is a little loud and uses quite a bit of electricity. I'm thinking of switching to the new Sequences How is the noise compared to the Iwaki, the energy efficiency and heat dissipation? Does it heat the water similar to the AmpMaster?s

I thought one of the benefits of the Ampmaster was that it did not heat the water ?

moonpod
03/13/2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by kim92111

Much, much quieter than an iwaki. The catch is if you've already plumbed for an iwaki, you're gonna have to drill a new bulkhead for the sequence intake (2" or 1.5" depending on model). does not heat up the water either, though to my knowledge that's not a problem of the ampeaters either.

hambalid
03/15/2004, 04:26 PM
I used to have an ampmaster 3000, and I thought that it was a pretty good pump. Never had any leaks, it pushed an insane amount of water. My only criticisms are that it was physically big and sometimes was slow to prime after a cold start. I sold it when I moved, but it was reliable for the 18 months that it was in service.

I've just ordered a sequence 750 with the saltwater seals. I'm not terribly crazy about the 2" intake, and was wondering if I need to redrill for a 2" bulkhead or if it is possible to bush down the 2" intake to 1.5".

moonpod
03/15/2004, 04:28 PM
No, don't do it. Redrill. It's like any other pump, you should never restrict the intake. Definitely a downside to the 750 series pumps.