PDA

View Full Version : PhosBan INSIDE calcium reactor???????

NaH2Ofreak
03/11/2004, 02:11 AM
Probably a stupid question but....I'll ask it anyway. I want to run a bag of Phosban but don't wanna buy a canister or power filter just for that. I've heard that running passively in the sump is about worthless. So....I have a PM CR4 calcium reactor and I was thinking about just adding the bag to that. I could just set it on top of the media. Would the lower pH inside the reactor "hurt" or change the Ferrous Hydroxide media???? Any issues with doing this????

TIA!!!
Dennis

dragon_slayer
03/11/2004, 03:03 AM
not sure about the low pH issues, but IMO the hassel of removing it from the reactor in a timely manner after its used up its' useful life would be a PITA. and if you are using a media that has any PO4 at all in it (esp ARM) then it would be wasted quite quickly.

kc

wasp
03/11/2004, 06:02 AM
I don't think it works properly in a low PH.
Suggest asking Randy in the Water Chemistry forum. He will definately have the right answer.

Malcolm_C
03/11/2004, 07:22 AM
I've wondered the samething, if you wanted to try it in your reactor, you could always put it a mesh bag or in the second chamber only if you have a two stage. but I have no idea if the ph will be a issue.

quack
03/11/2004, 08:42 AM
I dont think I would put it in the reactor!

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/11/2004, 09:21 AM
I probably wouldn't put it in the reactor either.

We had a discussion relating to such materials in the reactor effluent here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171862