PDA

View Full Version : Uncured rock question thread...

nine9d
03/10/2004, 09:44 PM
I found this thread and it may be useful to anyone that ordered LR with us. Thanks.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=334670

ADS
03/11/2004, 12:58 PM
There are a couple of ways to cure your rock. Walt Smith rock is precured but it will be in transit for several days by the time you get it.
If your starting a new tank-
You can cure your rock in the tank but it will stink up the house quickly and you'll be changing large volumes of water weekly.
The best way is to use nonlighted pails or vats with circulation.
Scrub the rock to remove the sponges that have blackened.
Place the rock in the container and circulate sea water. After 3 days change 50% volume of water. After a week start checking ammonia and nitrite levels. Do 50% water change weekly thereafter. Curing process should take 3-6 weeks. Some add light after 3 weeks but most would just add to tank once ammonia is gone and nitrite is trace detectable.
Inverts can ususally be added once you start getting microalgae on glass(or if nuisance algae forms first).
Hardy fish can usually be added sparingly at 2-3 months.
Corals should be 4-6 months. Clams definately >6 months.
If your adding a livesand bed, start that in tank first before rock is added. This will prevent sand critter loss from decomposition from rock. This only my recipe there are many ways to do it.
Hope this helps.Good luck

foxstop
03/11/2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info Adam.
Just a question: Do you use the water that the rock is in after you are done curing? Would you put that in the tank with the rock?
I'm thinking I need to make up a lot more water now and if the ammonia and Nitrites are undetectable, than I would assume you could use the water the rock has been cured in. Just not all of the gunk at the bottom of the container.

Thanksa again.

Brian

ADS
03/11/2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Brian-
No I would discard the water after curing. The best(and cheapest) thing to use for 100+lbs are the 45g rubbermaid tubs at home depot ($7 each). They are thin but will work fine for the short curing process.
I would have enough water to do 3 changes minimum in those tubs.
Adam

foxstop
03/11/2004, 03:37 PM
Sounds good!

Thanks.

Brian

foxstop
03/11/2004, 05:45 PM
I found the Rubbermaid 45 GAL wheeled storage container in Lowes. I think it will work well.

masterswimmer
03/11/2004, 08:09 PM
Brian,
I'm a little confused, you are almost sounding a bit excited here. :bounce1: please correct me if I'm wrong.

Russ

PS - My excitment is almost detectable too, lol :dance: :fish1: :spin2: :celeb1:

Does it show?

foxstop
03/11/2004, 08:29 PM
I would say it's Guarded Enthusiasm!:D
Just keeping my fingers crossed that it all comes together. At times my head just spins :spin2:

WAGERJA
03/11/2004, 10:03 PM
some one who has done this a couple more times then me want to give my your opinion on this....

I has thinking that with only 45lbs I could cure 15-20lbs in the 75g and 25-30lbs in the 120g. both are well established with good skimmers. Am spike should not be much at all with the small # of rock in two tanks, and this is the best way to retain the most live posible from the rock right?

OK now tell me this a bad idea....
J

Tomzpc
03/12/2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by WAGERJA
some one who has done this a couple more times then me want to give my your opinion on this....

I has thinking that with only 45lbs I could cure 15-20lbs in the 75g and 25-30lbs in the 120g. both are well established with good skimmers. Am spike should not be much at all with the small # of rock in two tanks, and this is the best way to retain the most live posible from the rock right?

OK now tell me this a bad idea....
J

Depending upon how much rock and circulation that you have in those tanks now you -may- be okay if the new rock was already cured once at the holding facility. If it's 100% fresh-raw rock then I'd be wary of attempting to add that much at once Jay.

andro
03/12/2004, 11:23 AM
Jay, amonia spike aside, you might be adding unwanted hitch hikers that you would not otherwise want to add to your tank.

-Ian

WAGERJA
03/12/2004, 12:40 PM
good points,
thats what I thought too. just thinking out of the box.
I guess i'll just cure it at the store. :) its nice to have that opt.
J
ps 3 more to go... die frog die.... :)

seaham358
03/12/2004, 03:07 PM
I cured my 125lbs of LR in my 125 tank and everything turned out ok. It took a few weeks and had a little amm spike but not much. I also had 125 of LS in the tank. I was told that the LR was not cured.
Just my experiance.

WAGERJA
03/12/2004, 03:20 PM
was that with fish and corals already in the 125?
J
ps 1 more :bum: :) ;)

seaham358
03/12/2004, 07:45 PM
No, that was a totaly empty tank with only water, rock, sand cycled tank with the die off from the rock using my skimmer running 24/7 and lights on for a short time only when I was home. Worked out well for us. the smell was not bad at all. Tossed in some green chromis after a few weeks and I still have them.