PDA

View Full Version : Sandbed populatopn decimated

bill-e
08/18/2001, 07:31 AM
My DSB was very populated with all sorts of creatures, the most visible being spaghetti worms (about 1/sq inch) , bristles, mini brittle stars, etc. Now I havent been paying much attention to the bed over the last month or so, and I've made the following changes.

1. Added a half black angel
2. Added a snowflake eel
3. decreased feeding of phyto by about 50%

When I really looked at the bed this week, I noticed that I cant find a single spaghetti worm, the once abundant bristles look to be at about 50% of what they were...and I dont see any big ones, and I have yet to find a ministar. Also, I notice my mandarin out hunting much, much more than before.

I wouldnt have thought that the decrease of phyto feeding would have caused this, nor the hot summer temps., so that leaves wither the half black ange or eel as the culprits...or a sand bed crash.

Any thoughts?

Abet
08/20/2001, 12:10 PM
Sorry about your critter pop. Bill, I went thru the same with my mandarin in my 180 FOWLR. My tank had a fluorishing pod population until I added my mandarin and he decimated it in a months time. He's now in my refugium and I just added a mix and match kit from IPSF to revitalize the main tanks critter population. How large is your tank???
I'm not sure about yor bristtle pop, I don't know if an angel or an eel can actually eat them...
Oh yeah, I also noticed that increase in my critter population is proportionate to the amount of food that I feed them with.

bill-e
08/20/2001, 04:52 PM
I'm sure it's not the mandarin, he's been here for about 1.5 years. It's probably the feeding and the angel, although I wouldnt have thought that the lighter feeding would have affected the population so rapidly. I guess with all the picking I see the angel doing, it's not suprising that the spaghetti worms are gone....but the bristles??

As far as the bug population, it doesnt seem to be affected much. still lots of stuff visible during the day.

Rovert
08/20/2001, 08:37 PM
Bill, a Mandarin is probably the worst thing you can do for your DSB. Also, Ron mentioned at his DSB workshop that pod populations can 'burn out' over time, as food sources become scarce cuasing critters to go extinct in about a year and a half.

It sounds like you might have two contributing circumstances that just might be causing you to blame it on a third.

PS -
Pink Ninjas rule!!!

Phillstone
08/20/2001, 09:25 PM
I don't think it is the Mandarin. I have 2 Mandarins in my 90 and can't recall ever seeing either eat off the sandbed- they are always up on/in the rock work. Also my dsb is teaming with life - except for my spaghetti worms which disappeared long ago - i blame the hermit crabs and a sally light foot for those.

Bill you say you cut back on phyto feedings - were you having excess nutrient problems. I would think this is most of the cause of decreased populations. Heat may play a factor but worms and pods are pretty tuff critters - (came shipped on dry liverock.)

Also I do recall DrShimek saying the end of our summer is the best time to get a recharge kit - seem to be more diversity this time of year.

HTH Phill

bill-e
08/20/2001, 09:34 PM
Phil,

Yea, dont think it's the mandarin either. It's mostly the worms which have diminished, pods seem ok.

I cut back cuz I was away on business travel alot, and hence the tank doesnt get it's daily phyto/tahitian blend/or golden pearls feeding, plus I wa running low on phyto and didnt get a chance to get more.

The more I watch the angel pick...alot of times at the sand, the more I think he played a part. Well, I'm increasing my feeding slowly to try to get back to normal.

rshimek
08/21/2001, 11:57 AM
Hi Folks,

Mandarins are fine. They just pick at small bugs on the surface of the sand, and won't harm anything.

Many types of bristle worms are good food for many fish, consider they are used as "bait...."

My guess is that your Angel or eel are the culprits, but what they may have done is simply shift the behavior pattern so the worms are out at night when the fish are not foraging. Do a night dive and see if you can see them.

If not, it won't likely do any good to add any recharge kits as the fish will simply eat the animals in them as well.

You might try getting some live sand collected from the real world (from some vendor that does this) in hopes of getting some animals that have behavior that helps "fish proof" them.

Good luck!

:cool:

bill-e
08/21/2001, 06:05 PM
Ron,

Thanks for the reply.

I already had done the night dive and it looks like I've gone from zillions of worms to a half a zillion worms. I still have quite a few, just not as many, and most very small (1/2"). I used to have dozens and dozens of large bristle worms...cant find a one now. Maybe it's the eel eating the bristles and the Angel eating the spaghetti worms.

I did go to Inland Reef Aquaria today to see Tom O'toole and pick up some DT's, so back to stady feedings again.