PDA

View Full Version : Human Recipes for Seaweed (Nori)

sampaul
08/18/2001, 01:49 AM
Seems like Nori and other seaweed are common items in our cupboards.
What do you use it for other than the normal sushi?
Here's a couple of ideas. I won't drag out the recipe books (unless someone wants exact measurements).

I'm from the South and love the vinegar Cucumbers 'Sunday' pickles sliced (trim the skin)in Apple Cider vinegar in the fridge. It's amazing that the Japanese do a similar thing called "Sunomono" with seafood. It's similar to the West Indies salad they serve on the Gulf Coast.

Here's the idea:
SUNOMONO
THE BROTH:
Sugar
Rice Wine Vinegar (or Apple Cider)
Water or bonito stock (fish stock)
A touch of Sake,Mirin or Vermouth (optional)--go light. Omit until end and taste.
A Dash of Soy Sauce.

THE GOOD STUFF:
Cucumbers Skinned, Sliced Very Thin and Seeded
Shrimp or Crab, or Octopus boiled and sliced thin.
Nori Strips soaked. Or Wakeme soaked.
(Optional: Sliced Green Onions)

Salt the sliced cucumbers to remove water, rinse, rinse, drain pat dry.
Mix broth and combine all. The liquid should cover the good stuff.

It should be served very cold and keeps awhile in the fridge. Don't use more than a touch of sugar it shouldn't be overpoweringly sweet--just a touch. The Nori should be cut into rectangles and used more as a garnish. Wakame is more of a main ingredient when used in these salads.

The good stuff should 'swim' in the broth..you pick it out with chopsticks (or fork). Garnish with a bit of green onions for an option.
---------------
Note On Wakame:
I kinda like this stuff. It reminds me of Collard greens. Good in small doses with rice and Worchester sauce. (better in the above salad if you don't have the taste for it :) )
---------------

Chilled Noodles

Buckwheat Noodles Cooked Oiled and Chilled.
The Dipping Sauce
Dashi: (at your oriental store you'll find instant fish stock called 'dashi-no-moto'..put a bit in water for a light fish stock taste. Substitute Chicken stock crystals. Should be very light!
Mirin: It's sweeten sake, use a bit of Sherry or Vermouth with a touch of sugar.
More Sugar to taste. (go SLOW, it should not be too sweet!)
Soy Sauce: Get Kikkoman's. Some brands are just roasted husks with flavor. Add a bit to the dipping sauce to make a darkish brown color.

The Garnish
Nori!!! Sliced in very thin strips. Small Paper Shredder Cut. Use Dry--you can toast it over a burner before cutting.
Green Onions: Sliced Thin
(optional: Celery, Sugar Snap peas, or Snow peas, Sliced Thin)

The Wasabi
This is the green horseradish that's sold at the oriental markets in powder form in cans. Mix a bit with water to make a paste. Like English Mustard the more you mix it the more bite it has.
Serving
Put noodles in small dish, garnish with Nori, Green Onions and other options. (maybe a dash of seaseme oil) Serve with dipping sauce and Wasabi on the side.
The traditional pink pickled ginger is a is also a good side item for this dish as is grated 'dalkon raddish'.
Pepper flakes--go for it, it's summer.
The Eating
Get a Fork or chopstick full of the noodles. Drag it over the Wasabi and dip in the sauce or mix the Wasabi in the sauce to your personal taste. (like sushi, without the fussing with fish)

This is a Summer Time Dish and should be served slightly chilled.

(Note on Wasabi: Make up a bit with cold water in a paste then mix it with mayonnaise to a light green color and serve as a dipping sauce or on top of veggies. Lightly steamed or nuked broccoli is the best for me. Even those that don't like 'weird' food seem to like this.
Lemmon, sea salt or Cavanders Spice is also good on the vegies before serving.

If any of you have other seaweed suggestions, I'd like to hear about them. I also have a treatment for Tofu that even deep south Alabama country boys will scarf up.

--- Sam