PDA

View Full Version : new reef set-up, watcha think??

gmac
03/08/2004, 10:32 PM
I am setting up a new 120 gal (4'x2'x2') in a couple of weeks. Here's what I will have going. What does anyone think??
-120 gal tank
-internal center overflow with (2) 3/4"bulkheads for return
-2" drain in overflow that will go to a sump that measures 36x18x18 with a built in refugium (from my reef creations)
-mag 18 return through a SCWD
-tunze turbelle stream on a controller for the main tank water flow, with the tunze rock to hide the pump
-my reef creation calcium reactor
-lighting (3) 250 watt double ended HQI in PFO pendants mounted in my 12" canopy. (2) 110 water super actinic VHO's (46.5")
-euroreef 8.2 skimmer

I am very excited about the new tank. What does anyone think about adding a couple moonlights? If good idea, who makes the best ones? I plan on only a couple of fish, maybe 4 of 5, mostly sps and clams. Please give me any advice on any of the equiptment listed, since I have not set it up yet, there is still time for changes. Thanks. I am hoping this will be a slammin' tank.

gmac
03/08/2004, 11:05 PM
anybody, anybody??

crrichey
03/08/2004, 11:07 PM
sounds good to me.

smartin77
03/08/2004, 11:38 PM
Yup, looks pretty good to me as well. I guess moonlights are your own preference. I'm sure that a search of RC will give you some quality answers.

Mickey
03/08/2004, 11:42 PM
You are putting in a 2" drain and only 2 3/4" returns? Seems like you'll be draining a lot more than you'll be returning. Did I miss something?

Otherwise looks good.

Mickey

gmac
03/09/2004, 12:06 AM
when I max out the flow of a drain, I worry about any blockage and maybe an overflowing problem. Maybe I am just paranoid, but I have silly things happen to me like that. :smokin:

gmac
03/09/2004, 12:30 PM
anybody else??

SoulVoid
03/09/2004, 02:10 PM
I was considering a VERY similar setup myself in the next few weeks. The more I've read about the SQWD the more I am begining to rethink putting it in. There seems to be quite a disparity in how much of a flow reduction it causes and that could be a significant problem if it's being used as a sump return. It could also be that it puts backpressure on the pump and the cheaper pumps don't handle as well under pressure. I have not used one personally but there are a few big threads on here you may want to read on them.

The only other thing is that seems like a lot of extra lighting for that system. I've been looking around and it seems a 250w DE MH will light a 2'x2' area adequetly for anything you could want to keep. What was your reasoning for going with that much lighting as I may have to rethink my lighting plans. I was considering a won PLSM122 for my lighting. http://www.wonbrothers.com/product/light/psl.htm

SoulVoid