PDA

View Full Version : White spots + growth

maroun.c
08/17/2001, 11:26 AM
Hi all.
Just got back to find the semi circulatus I got 1 week before with 2 white spots on the pectoral fins in addition to 4 growths on the dorsal and lower fins. one of those growths is white and the rest are brown in color. It's swimming and eating normally. It is still in my Q tank with 2 perculas that I got on the same day. the Q tank is 12 G with a wet dry filter(millenium) in addition to an aqua clear, coral sand substrate. the Q tank has been running since 7-8 months parameters are normal except for temp which is fluctuating between 80-87 due to temp difference between day and night. also some salinity fluctuations due to massive evaporation 1023-1025 I'm adding water as frequently as possible to keep changes to a minimum.
What are those brown growths and how do I treat them?
Hyposalinity if needed will be a bit difficult for with salinity fluctuations it'll go higher than 1010 frequently.
Also the clowns are acting really normal no spots no growth no nothing. they've been in the Q tank since 1 week so I guess a bit early to put them in the display so will they be infected?
Thanks for any suggestion

FMarini
08/17/2001, 11:50 AM
Hi:
so these white/brown spots, are they raised, flat, califlower like? more info please.
Once we determine what they could be we can recommend a treatment

maroun.c
08/17/2001, 12:19 PM
They are tubular in form 1mm diameter 2-3 mm length they just seem to hang down from the fish. You just feel like catching the fish and pulling them out. and you feel that the texture of the fin around the growth is just crisped.

maroun.c
08/18/2001, 07:24 AM
I felt this was late enough to start to act somehow, so I started copper treatment which at least would help for the two white spots on the fins, after that I just removed the fish from the Q tank and putted it in a small bowl and fed it some frozen artemia which I had mixed with some bactrim forte which is a combination of two antibiotics that can act against gram +ve and -ve bacteria after it ate well I returned it to the Q tank.
I know that mixing treatments (copper and antibiotics) can be a bit dangerous and I don't know if fish usually benefit more from Antibiotics they eat or from the antibiotics in water that come in contact with the skin, but there was enough antibiotic not eaten that got in contact on the fish. The fish now is in the Q tank swimming normally. This evening I should be adding the 2nd dose of copper that is if no one gives me other recommendations.
Anyway is there anything wrong in what I did or should I continue with copper and/or administer Antibiotics once or twice a day?
One more thing this morning there was a new growth just where the dorsal fin comes to join with the tail of the fish this one is much bigger than the others and it's a bit more rounded, the annoying thing is that I still have no idea about the nature of this. I've had a similar but white growth(probably lymphocystis) on a bicolor angel before which resolved on it's own but this is different I guess.
thanks for any suggestion.

maroun.c
08/20/2001, 02:49 PM
HELP ANYONE

billsreef
08/21/2001, 07:47 AM
What you're doing sound's good so far. Antibiotics and copper can generally be used in conjunction. The food method is really the best way to get the antibiotics into the fishes system. You might want to take some scrapings to your friend in the pathology lab and see if this a parasite or possibly a manifestation of lymphocytosis which is very common in freshly imported angels. Also quite often such growths on the edges of fins can be physically removed by carefull scraping and then treating the fish with antibiotics to prevent secondary infections.

maroun.c
08/22/2001, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the reply Bill. You really reassured me for I already had removed the fish from the Q tank and gave it one dose of Antibiotics then manually removed the growths and then treated the areas with some antibacterial ointment, and then cleaned it with betadine solution then some antibiotics in the water and back to the Q tank. I plan to give some antibiotics for the next 3-4 following days. Thanks for the help, too bad it was a bit late for I did not keep any scrapings for the pathology. Anyway thanks for the help.