PDA

View Full Version : achilles tang?

rainingshots
03/07/2004, 10:21 PM
hi,
can someone give me info on the behavior and habbits of a achilles tang from experience and if possible some pics? I nee to know everything about this fish, I really want one and no one in canada has any for sale, so If i'm gonna go out fo my way it better be worth it.
thanks

AquaticFins
03/07/2004, 10:38 PM
They are BIG, rather aggressive surgeonfishes. Generally pretty hardy, but they haven't been shipping all that well of late.

Even a tiny baby would outgrow a 65 gallon in a matter of months.

rainingshots
03/07/2004, 10:42 PM
so basically, I have no way of keeping it?

brianlena2000
03/08/2004, 12:34 AM
Actually, Achilles tangs have a very poor track record in captivity.

That being said, they do best in large systems with turbulent water flow.

They definitely need a bigger tank than a 65.

dendronepthya
03/08/2004, 09:47 AM
I have one in a 120 for the past few years and it clearly needs more room. They are very active swimmers and require more care than most other tangs.

Pete
03/08/2004, 12:16 PM
Ive kept hippos,yellows,clowns,and achilles. Currently have a sohal and I'd say the achilles is definately the most sensitive and hardest to keep healthy.

BradO
03/08/2004, 05:48 PM
65 is too small for an Achilles.

They really need a tank with 8ft length or more as most acanthurus do.

A for being hardy.
NO WAY they would have to be one of the hardest fish to maintain in capivity.
A large tank with plenty of swimming room and turberlant waterflow is the best chance for success.

dragon_slayer
03/08/2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by AquaticFins
They are BIG, rather aggressive surgeonfishes. Generally pretty hardy,.................

IME (and that is quite a bit with the Achilles) they are hardy only in well kept tanks with pristine water conditions, not what I'd even remotely call Hardy to the average reef keeper. they are IME one of the least aggressive of all tangs and are quite happy living with any fish, and only have short temperaments with other tangs of similar body shape when first introduced to the tank with them. they are very peaceful fish.

they aren't speed growers and only hit 6-7 inches in 2-3 yrs then really slow down on length growth and start to thicken up until around 5 yrs when they hit another length growth spurt.

they do require a long open tank as they are one of the true cruisers and swim constantly day and night. that is one of the main reasons for a suggested turbulent tank. this also makes it very difficult to get a good pic of them unless you have them in small tanks where they cant get about.

I wouldn't recommend one to anyone who doesn't have quite a bit of time under their belt keeping delicate fish and pristine water. if you rely on heavy water changes to keep water quality in check then an Achilles isn't the fish for you.

hth
kc

rainingshots
03/08/2004, 07:29 PM
wow, thanks for all the info. DOes the same go for a purple tang?

BradO
03/08/2004, 07:33 PM
No.
Purple tangs are very hardy.Don't grow as large.
Any tang from the zebrasoma family are great hardy fish.

Well suited to newbie with abit of experience.

rainingshots
03/08/2004, 07:36 PM
but do u think anybody would object to the idea of a puple tang in a 65 gallon? I already had my yellow tang and achilles tang dreams shattered.

BradO
03/08/2004, 07:41 PM
If your tank is 4ft plus i would say you will be fine,but others will disagree.

If you look in the thread "TANG" in this section i had somewhat a debate.

Basically it comes down to what you want.

rainingshots
03/08/2004, 08:12 PM
ok, so I can finally try to get a purple tang in the future without worrying about it dieing of stress or something.
thanks

dragon_slayer
03/08/2004, 08:41 PM
a yellow or purple would be fine in a 65g they arent cruisers and just need enough space to call 'Home'. the purple is the more agressive of the two and if you choice was between a yellow and purple, i'd recommend the yellow.

hth
kc

rainingshots
03/08/2004, 08:45 PM
what if I add the purple towards the end? I am sure its meaner to other fish if its added first.

dragon_slayer
03/08/2004, 08:48 PM
i'd add either last regardless of which one you choose.

kc