PDA

View Full Version : Tank revamp ques

Jankees
03/04/2004, 08:54 PM
My 90gal FO has phosphate, I don't have a R/O unit yet, but I am working on it. I used kent sponge and slim way in the past. The question is how to remove the phos, and I know it is in everything. Can I put my rock in fresh R/O and salt water, change the substrate and scrub my tank and sump. I have well water and I've been using Pur water filter since Oct. The algae build up is also created by to much food.:eek2: I also would like my tank drilled.

Franks Reef
03/04/2004, 09:06 PM
A product I had used to remove phosphate is called ROWAphos. It is an iron based product that absorbs phsphates as well as silicate and will not leach back when exhausted. It basically works great with no ill effects.

I believe Phos ban by two little fishies is a similar product. Stay away from phosphate sponges. they will ruin your tank if left in too long!! :eek:

No need to remove rock and sand, unless you have crushed coral. Then you should either clean/vacuum it or remove it and put in sand. It willl eventually become a nitrate bed.

Jankees
03/04/2004, 10:19 PM
I have crushed coral as my sand bed. I stop using the sponge in Nov. I have no traces of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

skearse
03/05/2004, 08:49 AM
I used a sponge when I first started the tank up, and had the problems that Frank tanked about-the nutrients leeched back into the water when I was too lazy to change it out. I am now using the Phospahte Remover from ESU in a nylon bag, and it helps me out. For high levels, you can change it out every day or so for about a week, and then leave it in longer to maintain a low PO4 level. Are you using DI water-of not, that might be the long term solution.

Franks Reef
03/05/2004, 09:22 AM
If your going to tear apart your tank anyway, then I would lose the Crushed Coral for sure. If you don't, you will be battling high nitrates forever. My suggestion is some Southdown with a 1 inch layer of good live sand on top.

As far as your phosphates, until you spring for an RO/DI unit, I would run Either Phos Ban or preferably ROWAphos in your sump. It will keep the edge off the phosphates without hurting anything. Overfeeding will also add to your PO4 levels. Most fish don't need to be fed as much as everyone thinks.

Here is where I bought my Rowaphos: http://www.northcoastmarines.com/cmcls.htm#rowaphos
Try it, it works great!!

Just another note, well water can have other minerals and/or crap in it that is worse than phosphate and silicate, so be careful!

Tomzpc
03/05/2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Jankees
My 90gal FO has phosphate, I don't have a R/O unit yet, but I am working on it. I used kent sponge and slim way in the past. The question is how to remove the phos, and I know it is in everything. Can I put my rock in fresh R/O and salt water, change the substrate and scrub my tank and sump. I have well water and I've been using Pur water filter since Oct. The algae build up is also created by to much food.:eek2: I also would like my tank drilled.

Sean,

I would break down the tank, remove all of the crushed coral, add about a 1 inch sandbed "at most", for aesthetic purposes, start using RO/DI water solely for salt mix and top-off, crank up the in-tank flow and be sure that you have/get a "good" skimmer running in or out of the sump. I agree with Frank about feeding.
Sure there are certain species (anthias for instance) who do better with more regular feedings but in my experience and in my opinion most of the common fish do just fine on five or six light feedings a week.

Reelfish
03/05/2004, 10:39 PM
I am assuming you have established LR so a breakdown/setup is not so bad. You mentioned having the tank drilled and that is the only way I would set up a reef tank and I have both. The two things can be accomplished without a breakdown if you are up to the challenge.
Bob

Jankees
03/05/2004, 11:44 PM
I order the same RO/DI as 9D yesterday for staters, I also bought two 31gal. tubs to hold the rock, fish etc. I might just get rid of the sand or leave 1in. I have 2in. of crush coral.

Reelfish
03/06/2004, 08:01 AM
If you are breaking down the tank then I would replace the crushed coral with dry sand and top it with live sand.
Bob

Jankees
03/06/2004, 06:10 PM
Where is the best place to order sand and what kind, everyone talks about south down.

Franks Reef
03/06/2004, 06:22 PM
If you want more than an inch of LS, then make it up with southdown. Home Depot in Wappingers and Pough. has it. As far as real LS, (HIDE YOUR EYES GUYS)The Fish Barn has the best in stock. Full of goodies!! Around $4/lb. If you won't shop there, then I don't know if Exotic Fish sells it or anyone else for that matter. Don't waste your money on that pre-bagged LS. There are some online vendors that sell it, but it will have to be cycled if shipped.