PDA

View Full Version : What corals or clams respond to moon phases?

Sea Serpent
03/04/2004, 04:25 PM
My new light has a feature where it will emit moonlight equivalent to the phases of the moon. At full moon there is quite a bit of light; at a quarter moon not very much. I would like to take advantage of that feature and put in corals and/or clams that would actually respond to these phases.

Can anyone point me to a reference or some info? Any experience with spawning during moon phases?

Paula

Groove
03/04/2004, 05:23 PM
How does the light look? I'm going to drool over it. I had Marvin price me one and I'm not that crazy yet. Who knows, after I see yours I may change my mind. What color did you get?

gmac
03/04/2004, 05:31 PM
where did you get that light?

gumhead
03/04/2004, 05:39 PM
As Greg Hiller said...
Do you really want corals and clams spawning in a closed system? The amount of nutrients that will be dispersed in the water could be detrimental to your tank...

karl wagner
03/04/2004, 07:59 PM
wow, everyone's in a rush not to answer the question.

Paula, many species of acroporids are known to all release their eggs and sperm at one time during the year. These corals are most commonly reproduced by breaking off branches, but I encourage you to mimic the moon's cycle to see if the eggs and sperm will be released in concert with the observed time in the wild.

If you have a good skimmer, and I trust that you do, the release will largely be captured and skimmed off.