PDA

View Full Version : What are some good books dealing specifically with Aquaculture?

MarkS
03/04/2004, 12:59 PM
I've noticed one: "Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1: Reef Gardening for Aquarists", but I'm not too sure the author knows what he's talking about. :D :lol:

I'm also thinking about "Giant Clams" by Daniel Knop and "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson.

Are there any other books you can list dealing with coral, clam, inverts and fish propagation?

Thanks,
Mark

MarkS
03/04/2004, 07:50 PM
Bump

cwbroden
03/04/2004, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't want to see Anthony's opinion of him not knowing what he is talking about. The "Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1" is an excellent book written based on his experiences as a propagator. It is a very good book on the subject.

Wilkerson's "Clownfishes" is an excellent book for clownfish. A definate read for that subject.

MarkS
03/05/2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by cwbroden
I wouldn't want to see Anthony's opinion of him not knowing what he is talking about.

That was a joke, hence the smilies. ;) I've talked to him and he's been very helpfull...

ejmeier
03/05/2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by MarkS
That was a joke, hence the smilies. ;) I've talked to him and he's been very helpfull...
I first read your post with smilies disabled, and I thought - sheesh, what a jerk! :lol:

Anyway, the three you mentioned are pretty good books, (esp BOCP), though I'll tell you that it is pretty involved process to spawn/rear clams. I have Giant Clams and it is a good book for taking care of clams, but if you are looking for a "propagation" type book, this is not it - and it will be hard for one person to acheive clam hatchery anyhow. Try a search to find out what I mean. :)

Mark, it took me a while to find any books beyond what you listed, but I did find some. I don't own any of the ones in the following link, but I'm going to try and track down a few - they look like they'll have some good "insider" info. ;)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings.categories/ssid/447

HTH

EDIT: If you have an AquaticEco catalog in print, you can go to the "Reference" section and get a little bit more info/pictures than the webpage gives.

MarkS
03/05/2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ejmeier
I first read your post with smilies disabled, and I thought - sheesh, what a jerk! :lol:

Ya know... That possibility never crossed my mind. I forgot you could do that. :o

Originally posted by ejmeier
EDIT: If you have an AquaticEco catalog in print, you can go to the "Reference" section and get a little bit more info/pictures than the webpage gives.

That loud whacking sound you hear is me slapping my forehead. DUH! I never thought to check the catalog of a company devoted to helping aqua culturists in setting up their equipment and helping them...

ejmeier
03/05/2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by MarkS
That loud whacking sound you hear is me slapping my forehead. DUH! I never thought to check the catalog of a company devoted to helping aqua culturists in setting up their equipment and helping them...
Same here. :p