PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Advice

raddogz
03/04/2004, 12:00 PM
We have a 150 at work.

It is a FOWLR tank with a 30 gallon sump. Euro Reef skimmer. 4x96 watt pc lighting with natural supplemental lighting.

Livestock consists of 10 various damsels, 1 false perc, one 3" trigger. There are also various anemones and one cleaner shrimp

Our maintenance person originally was feeding the tank once a week. The trigger was munching on everyone's tail, to the point where many fish simply died of secondary infection.

We started to feed the tank twice a day, so the fish are getting a little fatter.

I myself haven't checked the parameters, but he is now saying that overfeeding is causing the pH level to rise. His recommendation is to feed once every two days.

Any advice or recommendations?

bookfish
03/04/2004, 12:08 PM
Overfeeding would cause the ph to drop, not rise.
I'd go with a good physical filter, cleaned regularly so it's not a nitrate factory, and water changes, lots and large %.
But then I don't keep FOWLR tanks so someone may know better.-Jim
ps. how's the mini carpet?

raddogz
03/04/2004, 12:20 PM
Okay, I thought so.

It's a good thing this isn't my own tank.

The mini carpet is just awesome in my tank. It is about the size of a nickel now. I wish I had bought more now. Eileen

bookfish
03/04/2004, 12:53 PM
For those people that didn't get but wanted or folks who want more. They were really easy to deal with and Gary was great to buy from.
I'm currently searching for more new and interesting species (blue Cespitularia for example) but if people want me to coordinate another order I'd be happy to (assuming they're still available)
Also if we posted on SEABAYs forum it would be easy to get a box order together.-Jim
ps. re: the tank at your work- Just get the company to pay TP to do the maintenance, then it'll be done right.

JoeMack
03/04/2004, 01:06 PM
I feel left out. I want a mini carpet! :)

raddogz
03/04/2004, 01:41 PM
I'm going down that path right now to have TP do it.

Mmmmmm...new corals, can't wait....

rendeyxu
03/04/2004, 01:43 PM
imo, normally companies only would ask the maintance guy come over once or twice a month, and hope to get everythings done. and feed twice everyday while ask that guy for algae bloom or water quality decrease is not right.
even TP couldn't handle the situation if it's overfed. just my 2cents

raddogz
03/04/2004, 03:30 PM
He is an independent aquarium maintenance person not associated with a store.

My concern is that until last month, he was coming every week whilst feeding the fish with mysis and pieces of algae sheet. The trigger tore four fish apart. My (4) damsels that were in there for a month weren't even noticed until a month later and were blamed for the bacterial infections showing up on the other fish.

The feed are fish twice a day (flake or pellet). Cyano algae is a continuing to plague the tank since day one (July 2003).

How necessary is to dose with B-Ionic and/or Pro Buffer in a tank that is more FOWLR though?

barebottoms
03/04/2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by raddogz
Cyano algae is a continuing to plague the tank since day one (July 2003).

How necessary is to dose with B-Ionic and/or Pro Buffer in a tank that is more FOWLR though?

1) What kind of water are they using? - To figure out the cause of the cyano

2) Dosing with B-Ionic even in a FOWLER system can help coraline grow which will make it tougher for algae to grow on. Buffer to keep the ph stable. Is over dosing of one or the other the source of your ph problem? Whats the ph at? When are you measuring? How much does it vary thoughout the day. Length of your photoperiod?

raddogz
03/04/2004, 03:53 PM
1) What kind of water are they using? - To figure out the cause of the cyano

SF Tap Water

2) Dosing with B-Ionic even in a FOWLER system can help coraline grow which will make it tougher for algae to grow on. Buffer to keep the ph stable. Is over dosing of one or the other the source of your ph problem? Whats the ph at? When are you measuring? How much does it vary thoughout the day. Length of your photoperiod? [/B][/QUOTE]

He is measuring in the evening hours between 7 and 8. Length of photo period is 11 to about 7:30.

He was using a water clarifier that binds the gunk because the tank would get cloudy for a day and a half, and becomes clear afterwards.

bookfish
03/04/2004, 04:16 PM
I guess that's EDTA by any other name. The cloudiness suggests that you either need to boost the bio-filtration or physical filtration.
-Jim

rendeyxu
03/04/2004, 08:30 PM
i suggest fish only with live rock and wet/dry, feed minimal.
reef tank and fish tank are totally 2 different ball game, you know that, man. and trigger:) they do eat fishes.
and for PH, use some buffer would help. i have seen company's tank with these setup run for 1 month without problem, except some algae on the glass.

and for cyno bacteria on rocks and other sympton you describe, i would do a mass water change. once you get these stuff it's hard to get rid of.
how big is the tank

raddogz
03/05/2004, 01:48 PM
150 Bowfront tank here at work.

As much as I didn't want to do it myself, I'm going to take this project on afterall. It's too distressing seeing the poor water quality and livestock suffer, and go home to a pristine fifty gallon reef tank.

Thanks everybody.