PDA

View Full Version : Need some tips on building w/ acrylic

nanoguy
08/15/2001, 01:23 AM
I've finally decided to build my own down draft protein skimmer from some plans I got off of OZ Reef. My neighbor will lend me all the tools (table saw, etc). Before I purchase all the materials and take on the project I would like to get a few tips from someone that has worked w/ acrylic:

1)What type of cement works best?
2)How do you clean up the cement that oozes out of the seams? Do you let it dry first than sand it off?
3)I've heard of the "blow torch" technique to smooth/round out edges. How well does this work?
4)What type of table saw blade will work best for cutting the acrylic?

I hope that's not too many questions. Thanks!

Fishrat
08/15/2001, 07:58 AM
Nanoguy,

"what type of cement works best?"

DIYer's around here use something called "Weld On" adhesive. It comes in different consistancy's for different applications. Weld On # 3 and Weld On # 16 seem to be the best for DIY acrylic work.

"How do you clean up the cement that oozes out of the seams? Do you let it dry first than sand it off?"

I try not to use so much it "oozes" out, but when it does, I immediatly clean it with some acetone.

"I've heard of the "blow torch" technique to smooth/round out edges. How well does this work?"

Flame Polishing works well, but takes practice. Use some scrap pieces untill you get the hang of it.

"What type of table saw blade will work best for cutting the acrylic?"

There are special blades designed for cutting acrylic, but I've found that untill you get into the thicker stuff, a good carbide plywood blade works fine.

Do a search on this forum for "acrylic" you'll find a lot of good advice on working with the material. Also, http://northernreef.org/building_with_acrylic.htm
is a good beginner article on acrylic work.

HTH

Dave

BTW - I've got some acrylic tubes I'd like to get rid of if you need a few. They are 12" long X 4" outside dia. and have a 1/16" wall thickness.

nanoguy
08/15/2001, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info Dave. I'll keep in touch w/ you about acylic tube once I get all my materials list together.

Snailman
08/15/2001, 08:16 PM
There have been several threads here and there are several articles including Larry's on Oz Reef.

nanoguy
08/15/2001, 09:29 PM
I found a place that supplied great information from a manufacturer on working w/ acrylic. <br>
http://www.piedmontplastics.com/detailedlitordata.htm<br>
Just follow the link, scrow down to "Cyro" and subcategory "Acylic technical Brief." They are pdf files so you will need Adobe Acrobat reader. Just save the files for personal references.

Snailman
08/16/2001, 06:27 AM
I got my acrylic cutting blade from www.mcfeelys.com for $69.50 It is a Freud LU94 Plexiglass and plastic blade and it works great.