PDA

View Full Version : starfish

seaclown
03/03/2004, 12:04 AM
I have recently acquired a chocolate chip starfish. Is there anything special I should know about how to care for it. Do I need to feed it in any special way, or will it just pick up food as I feed my clownfish? I have tried finding information, but haven't found too much yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

AReeferIsExpensive
03/03/2004, 12:30 AM
its not reef safe ill tell you that much...

seaclown
03/03/2004, 01:12 AM
It is a 20 gallon aquarium with a couple pieces of live rock (not much on them, no coral), 2 percula clownfish, and 3 hermit crabs.

koj11
03/03/2004, 02:54 AM
I had one for about a year that was fat and happy. I fed him a small piece of raw food (shrimp, clam, squid, etc.) a couple times a week. He would crawl up the front glass all the way to the water line and sort of flop over so his underside was exposed to the water's surface. This is where I always fed him, and it didn't take him long to learn.

seaclown
03/03/2004, 11:12 PM
It's funny that you said that, I wondered what was up with that. Mine also goes up all the way to the water line and flops over so that his underside is exposed. Maybe mine is waiting for food too!!!

koj11
03/04/2004, 01:13 AM
One of my lfs (which is out of business now) sold large bags full of frozen goodies that I would feed him. It had shrimp, crab, squid, octopus, pieces of varous fish fillets, etc. in it. Just about any seafood will be great for him, just make sure it's raw and none of that fake or processed stuff.

jimmyp
03/04/2004, 10:11 AM
chocolate chips will eat mushroom corals. sometimes i feed them spirulina flakes or discs. ive never fed them anything meaty but i dont see why they wouldnt go for it. its entertaining to hear about them learning to feed in the way you described

seaclown
03/04/2004, 07:43 PM
I alternate days of feeding my fish - flakes and frozen brine shrimp. Will my choc chip get enough food getting the left overs he finds, or should I feed him seperately? (that little goodie bag of frozen treats sounds like a good idea too)