PDA

View Full Version : Would bigger fans help keep my tank cool?

Diehl
03/02/2004, 04:11 PM
I have a 90gal reef that I run duel 175watt MH's and duel 110watt VHO's using two 3" fans one going in and one going out. I have the heat being vented out duct to the outside of my house. I also use 2- Iceprobe chillers that have helped a little. My temp in the morning before lights is 79'F and by the end of the day it is 83.7'F Should I be concerned? I live in Florida so heat is always going to be and issue. I was wandering if I can add two 4" fans instead would it make much of a difference? :rolleyes:

BLUESMAN
03/02/2004, 04:28 PM
I would advise that you keep a temperture with a degree or two. IMO, you do not want wide temp swings. I shoot for 80 degrees. You can try the 4" fans, can't hurt. I would install a small 6" personal fan over your sump, might help.
Blue

Markk96
03/02/2004, 04:30 PM
From my own setup I have just a fan blowing on my sump. I have 2 250W 10K MH's and 440W of VHO's on. My temp does not get above 80.

I have no fans in my canopy with this setup.
Mark

Mr.Lloyd
03/02/2004, 05:46 PM
Bigger fans would move more air.If your air is hot and humid then you will get some evaporative cooling and Florida air never gets as hot as a MH bulb so moving air should help there.Add some extra fans to move air into your tank area and out.Venting outside is one of the best I have heard about.I would love to run the heat from my 2600w of MH lighting to my clothes dryer.