PDA

View Full Version : Pistol / Goby Question

drmooncricket
03/02/2004, 04:01 PM
So I was thinking about doing a pistol shrimp / goby thing in the tank…

What kind of shrimp should I get and what kind of goby should I get?

Should they be paired up in the store or buy the separately?

And is this even worth it, I mean what are they going to do?

:confused:

clutchcargo
03/02/2004, 04:07 PM
I've got a Randals Goby and Tiger Shrimp. They're inseparable. I think the symbiotic relationship mostly benefits the Goby. As far as I can tell the shrimp would do fine without him. One thing to keep in mind though is that the shrimp likes to dig and dig and dig. Just when you think he's done, he decides he wants to change the entryway of one of his lairs. I'm glad I've got them but my fungia got buried by the shrimp and hasn't been the same since.

Nocturnal
03/02/2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by drmooncricket
So I was thinking about doing a pistol shrimp / goby thing in the tank…

And is this even worth it, I mean what are they going to do?

:confused:

What do you want them to do? I mean, you would be buying them for a reason or should I say, you are thinking about them for a reason. What reason is that? You bought a Juvi. Emp for a reason right? Because you always wanted one. What is it worth to you? You need to decide if it's "worth it" not anyone else.
Did you hear they are cool and you are trying to be cool too?
You definitely don't need any more fish in your tank. Not sure how many times we can tell you this.

mikestod
03/02/2004, 04:12 PM
I'd agree...they can make quite a mess with fine substrate like southdown, and can undermine rock piles quite easily

that being said I have a yellow watchman and tiger pistol pair that formed a bond in the quarantine tank in a matter of minutes (if you don't have a QT tank, you could even do it in a fuge, or anything with substrate) I used a PVC pipe with an elbow at each end for a cave for them to get comfy in together at first, when I put that and them in my display tank they ditched it in a matter of days, making a cave below some rocks instead

Montec24
03/02/2004, 04:19 PM
I have a yellow watchman and a tiger pistol. Bought them seperate and they bonded instantly.
As in the other post's the shrimp can make wuite the mess, I have a tunnel system under my whole tank. I used eggcrate over pvc supports and under the rocks when I set up this tank so he would not undermine the rock. It buries corals, steals little rocks (and a ricordea) I have even seen it "steal" nas. snails, I swear he has a "trophy wall" of snails lining his cave. Pretty cool watching the two together when they are out (not very often) but if I had it to do over I would skip the shrimp.

skyedolphan
03/02/2004, 05:59 PM
I have an orange spot goby and a tiger? I believe in my nano everytime i think that I /he has decided to set up home where we can at least see them sometimes it only last 1-2 days :( they are cool but again never get to see them.. wish I had gone with sexy shrimp or something that we can see once in awhile

wrassefan
03/02/2004, 06:14 PM
Last time I was at skiptons, they were selling this pair (goby and pistol shrimp..sorry can't remember what type). It was very cool watching them together even in the store 5gal holding tank.