PDA

View Full Version : OT - Bald Eagle

JustDavidP
03/01/2004, 12:18 PM
I saw this bad boy while driving to work this morning. It was perched in a tree on the property of the Nashawtuc Country Club in Lincoln, MA. What a big and beautiful bird!

< D >

Aneille
03/01/2004, 12:19 PM
That is cool. I've never seen one in person.

JustDavidP
03/01/2004, 12:29 PM
I've never seen one this close in the wild until today. This bird was enormous. When it finally took flight, I noticed that the wing span must have been 5 foot across! No kidding.

Also, as we both stared at each other, I realized that the eyes are piercing! It didn't look very happy to see me this morning.

David

Scuba_Dave
03/01/2004, 12:36 PM
Nice picture, I always mean to keep my camera with me. But not much to see driving 128 to work.
I was up in Alaska 10 years ago & saw some on the wing. Beautiful site

moe_k
03/01/2004, 12:42 PM
Awesome!
Great to know the numbers are increasing enough that these birds are making it to eastern MA.

Mike Accardi
03/01/2004, 12:52 PM
My local paper had a story in it a week or so ago where
a bald eagle had taken up residence at a local pond. They
had pics of the eagle hunting down a goose, which became
it's dinner.

Awesome sight.

etszoo
03/01/2004, 01:07 PM
Nice to see. I saw a youngster last summer flying off with a cat
in its talons (probably off the road), pretty impressive none-the-less.

Keith Sheridan
03/01/2004, 01:20 PM
Well that certainly tops when I saw a shark on the way to work.

Nice picture considering you must not have been totally prepared.

I did see one in Florida, but with out the benifit of a zoom lens or binoculars I didn't even see the detail like in your photo.

3_high_low
03/01/2004, 01:25 PM
Wow! I love watching raptors. I've never seen a Bald Eagle in the wild. I wonder if I could sneak in a few holes and maybe see the big birdie? I'm glad they like Canada geese, those things are way too plentiful. Bummer about the cat though. That must have been quite a sight.

etszoo
03/01/2004, 01:54 PM
We have 5 cats. I did take a head count when I got home.lol

MiddletonMark
03/01/2004, 02:01 PM
Great picture David! Off-the-cuff shots like that are not always the easiest ... but that's a beaut!

Got a fair lot of them out west here ... last fall we had one circling over our canoe while fishing for a half hour ... only to pull out a huge fish maybe 100 feet away. Darn bird got the fish we were trying all afternoon to catch :lol:

They certainly are gorgeous, one of the perks of canoe camping on the Wis. River in summertime [beyond sandbar camping, good C&R fishing, and lack of people]. Glad to hear they're taking of residence out there too ... #'s are really booming of late :D

JeremyR
03/01/2004, 02:38 PM
Saw a few dozen of them in wyoming when I was home for turkey week last november.. you see them on the fence posts by the road while you are driving around.

MiddletonMark
03/01/2004, 02:41 PM
Jeremy - see any Golden Eagles out there?

They seem even a little bigger ... on the rare very windy fall day we'll get lucky and have one come thru around here. But I've only seen them a couple times [mostly in the Dakotas].

Here's to big mean birds :D

JMAC
03/01/2004, 02:51 PM
For what its worth. Every year during the winter when most bodies of water are frozen over, you have a great chance of seeing Bald Eagles regularly in the trees lining the Merrimack River at an area known as the "chain-bridge". (You can see the small chain bridge as you cross the Merrimack River on route 95 North and look down and to the right)

I have seen upto 5 eagles at one time there where there is open water. I believe the exit after the Route 95 bridge is the one to the chain bridge and parking. Its a good take and I know some were seen recently. Although it was before this "warm snap".

Joe <"}}}}><

Heavydc2
03/01/2004, 03:24 PM
I saw one flying around here a month ago or so. The thing was enormous, and it was probably a mile or more up (guessing). But it was so distinctive with its white head and white tail. I wish it would land and live around here.

DLCanuck
03/01/2004, 05:10 PM
Nice shot of the eagle. When I grow up in Quebec (about hundred miles north of Montreal), my father, my uncle and I, help one that was stuck in a trap for rabbit. Far I remember the rabbit got away. The bald eagle was hurt, took about a month to heal, and flew freely after that. I remember seen it sometime on perch tree looking down and I wander if saying to me thank you.

mikrok
03/01/2004, 07:48 PM
much cooler than the hawks that live by the field I mowe during the summer time...:lol: they try to kill me when i cut the soccer field...some day im not going to see them swooping by me

ScavDog
03/01/2004, 11:35 PM
These things are soo cool to see in action. I witnessed one swoop down on Whitman's Pond in Weymouth a snag a fish. I thought I was "seeing things". What a majestic bird.