PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp?

nhanson
03/01/2004, 12:35 AM
Hi Folks,

AquaAddicts has had "Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp" a few times when I was there, but I can't find information on anything by that name. Do you know if it's another name for Randall's Pistol shrimp, Alpheus randalli? I want to give my Yashi Haze Goby a friend and I've read that randalli is the safest bet.

Thanks, Nate

The Perfect Pet
03/01/2004, 12:47 AM
I find the Candy Cane/Candy Stripe Pistol (Alpheus sp.) is a great match for the Whiteray/Yasa Hasche Goby. This shrimp stays fairly small, and for the last 4 years have had great success pairing the two up.(over 20 times) I do not know the species name of the Shrimp. THe only book I have that shows a picture on says "Alpheus sp." I also like this shrimp best for that Goby because, their colors match. just my personal opinion.

nhanson
03/01/2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks Brandon. How big do they candy canes get? Just 1/2" or so? Or are those small ones at the store?

Can you tell the sex of Yashi Hazes? Have you ever created a m/f pair that weren't collected that way? I've got one and I'd like to get a second if I could make sure I was getting one of the opposite sex.

Thanks, nate

The Perfect Pet
03/02/2004, 12:55 AM
Nate,

I am not sure on how to tell them apart. Last time I spoke with Scott Michael he was not aware of any way to tell male from female, even in wild pairs that he had witnessed. I have had mated pairs come in from time to time, and have not been able to tell the two apart. I have also put two together and they have shared the same burrow. A pair? who knows? but, they do tolerate each other and live together. One of those things I guess ou just don't know? I would recomend adding two at the same time so that one was not territorial.
As for the shrimp they are among the smaller pistol shrimp barely reaching an inch. One reason why they are so good with the Yasa Hasche Goby.

drmooncricket
03/02/2004, 08:54 AM
hey b, do u have any pistol shrimp and goby combo's in stock now... i would love to get one for my tank, but want to make sure they are paired before i get them... does that make any sence?