PDA

View Full Version : Complacency, it's not just in your tank

Scuba_Dave
02/29/2004, 07:16 PM
Complacency...
So, over a year ago I had a hard drive failure. Total, everything gone,and I knew it was going to happen. I had the "click of death" as a warning that the HD was going. But I just kept rebooting & it would restart.
Then it didn't, lost some stuff, most I had on other computers, disc, CD etc. But it still took months to rebuild the PC w/new hd the way I wanted.
New motherboard, RAID capable, bought dual 100g hard drives to set it up. Raid is basically 2 or more hard drives, if one fails you still have your data, and your computer still runs.
Excellent, right?? One problem, I never installed them.
Guess what just happened??
You got it, came back from the meeting, click of death, and no restart. D-E-A-D spells dead. Just moved & haven't setup my backup or my CD-RW. All my blueprints for the building permits, digital pictures, other pics I scanned in, web pages, documents, all sorts of crap, 20g or better of data...GONE.
So I got up today & went on our FYAOD (Freeze yer @ss off dive), water temp about 36, figured that would numb the brain
Just got home a while ago, started to take the PC covers off, whacked the heck out of it, said a prayer, and pressed the button.
And it came up...I'm copying data off to laptop, then I'm going to install that RAID array with the 2 drives

As Marco said, take a good look around, at everything. What needs to be fixed? What accident can you prevent? Frayed electric cord that may start a fire? Wiring (tank or not) that isn't safe? Digital pictures burned to a CDROM? Computer files backed up? Electric outlets child protected? Hazardous materials out of harm's way?

A little checking, some preventative work, can save you in the long run

Groove
02/29/2004, 11:23 PM
I'm knocking on wood. I bought a RAID board myself and have not hooked it up yet. I've lost two HDs in the past and feel for your. It's no fun.

Scuba_Dave
03/01/2004, 12:05 PM
I had an older PC for about 10 years before the HD failed. Quality seems to have decreased as well as price.
The other HD was a MAxtor, this one is a Western Digital.

And Reading Ken's wife's post, I add another task: bringing the wife up to date on our system. She ran the FO for over 2 years, but this system is waaaaay different

Ken2001
03/01/2004, 12:17 PM
this is ken's wife Vallyre -

Darn! If I'd just clicked on this thread one day ago! Maybe I would have cleaned out that tank return and moved that GFCI plug about 10 feet....

:hmm5:
-V

MiddletonMark
03/01/2004, 12:19 PM
Great advice ... for those of us who love our digital cameras, etc [had a laptop HD die two years ago, lost about 4-5 months of pictures].

Never mind getting the wife/etc up to date on the systems.

Actually planning this out already myself - she's aware of what's what [to a degree, but not the closed loop I'm adding :D]... but for next fall's long honeymoon diving.

Will have a house/cat/tank-sitter stopping to feed, check on things ... but figure a little multi-page info sheet about what everything is, is supposed to look like [pics] and what to do if anything is an issue ... key for both my sweetie and anyone tank-sitting.

Will have a local club member [or two] as emergency contact people ... but even they might need to know what valve does what, where the circuit box is, etc etc etc. Never mind having the cords labelled [already done], a basic drawing [and pics] of the plumbing, equipment involved ... heck a quick inventory of fish/etc might be of use.

Maybe overkill, but yet at very least interesting to other reef club people who stop by ... I like to think I'm always available, but cell phones die, weird stuff happens ... and something can hospitalize you for a couple of days. Hate to sound fatalistic, but ScubaDave here gives wise advice.

Thanks for the wise reminder.

Scuba_Dave
03/03/2004, 07:36 AM
Well, I've left the PC up & running since the click of death. If you don't shut it off, it can't fail to start. Last night I was kind of tired & shut it down. Realized this AM, turned it back on. Nothing from the HD. R.I.P.
Looks like I'm setting up the RAID, glad I was able to copy all my data off. It's still going to take me hours & hours to re-install software :(

Scuba_Dave
03/03/2004, 09:35 AM
Decided to upgrade to SATA drives, get me more speed :D

lcsonka39
03/03/2004, 04:42 PM
all the upgrading will make your microsoft word runs 100x as fast... congratulations!

ggomez
03/03/2004, 06:31 PM
The one problem I have encountered is that the RAID controller can go bad, which means you must replace the RAID conotroller with another identical raid controller with the same firmware version. If the RAID controllers are cheap, I usually purchase 2 of the same make & model. If your raid controller breaks then you just replace it with another identical RAID controller. Hopefully your'e not using a motherboard with a built-in RAID controller. This happened to me with promise ATA133 raid controller & SCSI raid controllers and the hard-drives would only boot if you used the RAID controller that was used to setup the RAID the first time.

Scuba_Dave
03/03/2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by lcsonka39
all the upgrading will make your microsoft word runs 100x as fast... congratulations!

I do video editing, even 1g of ddr memory & 2.0g cpu are slow.
And a movie I edit can run 2.6g or larger
Before upgrading to this system compiling a movie took 30 hours
With RAID it will be much faster, and yes, i will be upgrading to a faster CPU
Some of us actually use more then word, I understand when that is the only thing someone may know how to use

My backup system is a PIII-600, laptop backup is a PIII-500
backup to the backups are PII400's (yes plural)
Wife's system is a PIII-600
I don't build a Computer with less then 1g of memory, or anything less then RAID with dual 120g drives

I don't care if they fail, my data is on multiple computers. If it fails, I power up another PC & keep on working
Buy bigger hd's, new Mobo & build a new PC
I usually upgrade every year, but another hobby has kept me busy for the past year.
Usually by the time something is a year old, I no longer own it

Scuba_Dave
03/03/2004, 09:28 PM
I like a hd with a 3 year warranty
and it expired Feb 2004......

Scuba_Dave
03/03/2004, 11:14 PM
Installed XP Pro & Office XP pro w/Frontpage 4.54g gone