PDA

View Full Version : Where to find mini air valve for Durso?

Armando
02/29/2004, 12:54 PM
Got tired of cleaning salt creep in the pipe hole. Can't find where to buy (local/online) the small air valve ppl use for this.

jtag
03/01/2004, 09:35 AM
^ bump

Tagging along for the ride as I was looking for this exact same thing yesterday. I found a few places that had these:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquarium/air/airline/ep_9548_air_control_kit.html

but they are far too small to be of any use in a durso. Anyone else have any idea where to get these bad boys?

rvitko
03/01/2004, 09:48 AM
Go to a Lowes or Home Depot or a garden center and look where they have mini drip irrigation fittings. They are just a tad bigger than airline. Otherwise Two Little Fishies used to offer a mini valve. An aquarium shop should have or be able to get single valves from Lee's but I feel the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The drip irrigation valves are nice because they are like a mini faucet. The Lee's is like a crappy plastic needle valve and they break easy.

jack fors
03/01/2004, 11:08 AM
How about JQ quick connect shut off valve?

ducker
03/01/2004, 11:15 AM
how do you have your hole situated? Won't you have to still clear salt creep off of the air valve?

Armando
03/01/2004, 11:19 AM
ducker the hole is in the middle of the cap, that sits on top of the durso.

ducker
03/01/2004, 11:32 AM
hm... one of the alternate designs I saw was with the hole on the SIDE of the cap...

drilling through the side of the cap, in to the pipe, so that you can twist the cap to control the air flow.

I'm guessing either way you will have salt creep that you would have to clear out every so often.
:/

jtag
03/01/2004, 01:10 PM
One of the tricks that I've heard regarding the valves is to run some airline tubing from the top of the valve down behind the tank where the salt creep won't be as much of an issue. Personally I'm looking for finer control over the amount of air. I had tried the hole in the side trick but it was somewhat difficult to regulate the air to right where I needed it. A small twist would take me from toilet flushing to incesant gurgling. Both the irrigation fittings and the quick connects sound like great ideas. Off to Home Depot after work!