PDA

View Full Version : White powder on reflector?

jciwlsn
02/29/2004, 12:02 PM
I just changed a bulb in my light fixture and saw some white powdery stuff on the reflector, never saw that before I changed to the ultra actinic a couple days ago (which I HATE, tank looks too yellow and it's driving me crazy!).

What could that be from?

Thanks for your help...

Dubge
02/29/2004, 12:03 PM
salt maybe

jciwlsn
02/29/2004, 12:10 PM
Hmmm, I don't think it's salt because it's not crusty. It has a thinner density like flour....

Tobyt
02/29/2004, 04:59 PM
It's salt. Taste it.

I have fine flour like dust all over my apartment -- well just near the tanks anyway. Believe me. It's salt.

jciwlsn
02/29/2004, 05:56 PM
Yech, I didn't try it but I'll take your word for it. Thanks....:)

JustDavidP
03/01/2004, 07:53 AM
I get the same thing. Do you have fans in the hood? Check the doors to your hood/stand and see if you have any in the hinge and frame areas. It's probably just dust from the room, the salt, anything that gets airborne in the area of the tank. The cooling fans have a way of blasting the dust particles into/onto surfaces that are somewhat moist.

David

nhanson
03/01/2004, 09:09 AM
Are your reflectors aluminum? It sounds like aluminum oxidation to me. When Aluminum "rusts" it gets a very thin film of very fine white powder on it. It's not a problem that I know of (other than it may give your fish alzheimers), but it will reduce the effectiveness of your reflectors, so you can buff it out with fine sandpaper and then some rubbing compound and polish if you want.

Nate