PDA

View Full Version : I am such a newbie, but what exactly is Detrius?

Prunella
02/29/2004, 09:52 AM
I am such an extreme newbie here....and I really hated to ask the question, although I have an idea of what it is. I was just wondering if someone may enlighten me? I love this site and have learned so much and am now more confused then ever!:D
I have a very small tank that my husband bought me for a gift (he really doesn't know what he started though:D). I am now trying to learn all that I can so that ONE day I can have a much larger REEF tan, they are so beutiful and I hope that I can have one as such one day. But I think it will take me a while because I really want to understand what some of the equipment is and what it is used for. I accept any and all information and is truly appreciated. I've already learned so much just from reading.

Thank You!
Prunella

SunDragon
02/29/2004, 10:00 AM
fish poo, or other decomposing organic material in the tank

DgenR8
02/29/2004, 10:01 AM
Hi Prunella,
[welcome]

The definition most hobbyists use for detritus is organic waste. Left over food, food that's been partially processed by one animal, leaving something still edible for a different animal. Basically, just food waste in one form or another.

Prunella
02/29/2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks so much Larry and Steven for your response! I have this purplish "stuff" growing on my substrate for the last several day. any ideas what this may be? It looks like a film of some sort.

Thanks again!
Prunella

SunDragon
02/29/2004, 10:37 AM
Sounds like Cyano. You can use the Search button on the top of the page to search for more info on it. Theres tons written out there, no need for me to repeat it here.

adiver
02/29/2004, 10:41 AM
may be coralline alge "good stuff"

adiver
02/29/2004, 10:42 AM
soory missed substrate, Most likely cyano

DgenR8
02/29/2004, 10:44 AM
The fact that you say it looks like a film, and is growing on the substrate, leads me to agree with Steven's diagnosis. Probably cyano bacteria.

SPC
02/29/2004, 11:26 AM
Hi Prunella,

Hobby Experience: Very NEW! One month! I am trying to learn all that I can! I'm fascinated!!
Current Tanks: It is my very first tank, it is only 6 gallons, I have live rock and sand, a clownfish and damselfish and 3 hermit crabs.

I noticed that your tank is only a month old. I agree with the others that what you are seeing is cyano, and this is most likely caused by high nutrient levels in your system.

I also noticed that your tank is only 6 gallons and you already have a clownfish and a damsel. IMO you added these fish too quickly to your tank (may be too many fish for a 6 gallon anyway) and the organic load is too much for the little system to handle. The live rock is also an organic load to your tank, and especially so when it is new and there is die off.
Steve

Prunella
02/29/2004, 12:05 PM
You are right, I may have added too many fish too soon, but was not told otherwise, and this is my very first experience with a marine aquariam, it is not a lot of "purple stuff" yet. But I can see it growning, I am going to my LFS today and hopefully will be able to get a snail, maybe that will help. I also read some of the other posts about cyano and some suggestions were to add macroalge to help compete for the nutrients. What do you guys think? I am also getting green algae on my rock.....? Good/bad??

Prunella
:confused:

surfy
03/01/2004, 12:07 AM
Sounds like you have a high nutrient problem. How often do you do a water change? also how much water do you exchange?
I have a 7g nano and I change 1.5 gallons a week.

Best bet is to due some small water changes and siphon out any cyano.
You can also try increaseing the flow to help stop cyano from forming.

On detritus you want to remove that too. That is a big cause of algae in the tank.
I use a turky baster to blow it out of the rocks and off the sand so it's suspended into the water colum.
I run a HOB filter with poly pad to trap the detritus with then I just rinse it off, dry it out and reuse next cleaning.