PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to save it all...need advice

Harley387
02/28/2004, 05:36 PM
Hello fellow reefers. Well, I managed to scrape together some dough, and Walter from Air Water and Ice was kind enough to give me a deal on a rebuilt 75GPD Typhoon RO/DI unit. He's a great guy, and the Typhoon seems to be a quality unit. Now on to my problem. As some of you know, I was out of work for a while (Thanks, Governor Romney). I had to use tap water for a couple months. Now I have hair algae covering most of my 150 lbs of live rock. I attempted to remove each piece and scrub it. That's a big waste of time. Does anyone have any ideas about how to kill off this algae? I am thinking about buying a big rubbermaid tub, and just putting the rock in some stagnant water in the dark for a week or so. I know I'm gonna lose stuff, but I'm at wits end.

Dubge
02/28/2004, 05:54 PM
I had a bit of an algea problem that I am almost through and Friday afternoon I went to Living Sea and picked up these HUGE turbo snails, a little smaller then a golf ball and they went to town, I couldn't beleive the dent they put in the algea! They were only $2 each and 6 for $10 you might want to give that a shot

HTH
Ray

Rays
02/28/2004, 06:20 PM
I agree with Ray, it's best to scrub as much off as possible, then put a few turbos in.

Harley387
02/28/2004, 08:56 PM
I already have turbos, a lawnmower blenny, and an urchin. This stuff is like 3 inches long.

skyedolphan
02/28/2004, 11:08 PM
as long as you start with the ro/di water now you will notice a dramatic decrease in the hair also add more turbos and it will take a month or 2 but it will be gone trust me been there :)
do water changes with the ro/di try about 10% a week and if you can try to hook up a fuge with macro to fight against the hair for nutrients HTH

Rick and Sandy
02/29/2004, 07:12 AM
The BIG Turbos are 'Mexican Turbos'. They'll take it all down for ya.

skyedolphan
02/29/2004, 08:42 AM