PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Cortez not eating

nchokies
02/27/2004, 11:10 PM
I purchased a Juvenile Angel two days ago and it doesn't appear to be eating. He's being bullied by a Coral Beauty, but he's not showing any signs of being beat up. He usually turns on his side and dances around the Coral Beauty without getting nipped. I've been trying Nori, frozen Emerald Entree, frozen plankton, frozen mysis shrimp, and some other tropical fish flakes. I haven't seen him eating any of these, but he does go up to them as if he's smelling and deciding he doesn't want them.

My water conditions are in great shape right now, so I don't think it's that. One issue that I may have is that I was unaware that they prefer cooler water temps and my tank stays around 80 degrees and can get up to 82 at times.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do to get him to eat? Is he just too freaked out by the coral beauty to eat? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

aLittletank
02/28/2004, 01:03 AM
my solution is going to cost you about 50 bucks...

get a 10 gallon tank($10) , back filter($20) and heater ($15)

you guessed it by now... a hospital/ quarantine tank

Why?

many times fish have a hard time transitioning to prepared foods. then couple that with the stress of other fish trying to establish a pecking order and you may have end up with a fish that gets stressed to the point of not making the transition and dying before it ever has a chance.

if you are willing to set up the tank use water from your display and any extra rock. place an extra filter for the back filter in your sump or main tank and swap it with the pad in your back filter daily. change out a gallon or two from the display every other day or so. All this will hopefully eliminate the cycle you would get by setting it up fro scratch.

take any rock out if you decide to medicate the fish ( many reasons I wont get into now)

now that you have a safe (although small) place for the fish now you can start to try different foods. if you cant do live (brine ect)
try soaking what you feed in Garlic. Garlic has been know to elicit a feeding response at times.

Finally WHAT JUVI ANGEL is it? different angels have different foods they are used to and that info may help you to get it to start eating

HTH
Allen

Jerry W
02/28/2004, 05:15 AM
I'll agree that quarantine should have been a consideration before purchasing the fish. Not sure another move would solve the problem however, and might further stress the angel. A couple things come to mind. It's not at all uncommon for a newly introduced fish of any species not to accept prepared foods for a few days. Both my butterfly and blue face angel simply browsed on the rock structure for 3-4 days before showing any interest in food. I currently have a new eibli angel in quarantine that just in the past two days is taking prepared foods with gusto, but had only picked at the algae on the glass for the first couple days.
How large is the Cortez? I've seen very small juveniles not acclimate well at all. If the fish exceeds two inches, you are better off than with a smaller specimen. The coral beauty is curious and my sense is will leave the cortez alone in short order. As stated above, isolating new fish for a period of three weeks is highly recommended, not only to observe for pathogens, but to get the fish used to eating diferent foods in a stress free environment. I would continue to offer a variety of foods, to include those you have tried, along with finely chopped mussel, clam, sponge based formulas, blood worms, Marine Cuisine, etc. The Cortez should eat pretty much what the CB will, but again it may take some time for it to accept your menu. If you notice the fish exhibiting signs of distress, or it continues not to eat, I'd recommend a quarantine set up. I really don't think this is an optional piece of equiment in this hobby. Good luck.

nchokies
02/28/2004, 11:23 AM
Well, it's a Cortez Angel and it's about the size of a half-dollar. Definitely not 2 inches in length, even if I included the tail. I'll go ahead and set up a quarantine tank then. I have a 10 gallon hex and 10 gallon "normal" tank, but would a smaller tank make more sense or would either of these be fine for now?

aLittletank
02/28/2004, 12:21 PM
Sorry for not seeing the type of angle in your Title! I have been medicated :O

either tank would work. I would prefer the longer tank though.

good luck
allen

nchokies
02/28/2004, 10:38 PM
Hey, no problem, when you asked which Angel it was I re-read my whole post and didn't think I specified it either! Not sure I have any excuses for that.

Well, I'm setting up the 10 gallon "regular" tank just in case. Hopefully I'll have the temperature solidified in it tomorrow and maybe it will be ready real quick.

I do have some good news though, I put "Prime Reef" and "Angel Formula" in the tank tonight and he was eating very well. He's still getting harassed by the Coral Beauty, but he's breathing normally. If only the Coral Beauty would let him swin anywhere but the top of the tank. Maybe in time.