PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for meeting/swap

Silvio
02/27/2004, 10:03 PM
Tomorrow will be my first BRS Meeting if I can manage to get there. Can Anyone give me an idea of what to expect? How are the frags packed. I have a 2 hour drive home. How will I keep any frags alive?

Scuba_Dave
02/27/2004, 10:07 PM
Frags are packed in plastic bags w/water. You will need a cooler & a way of keeping them warm. Depends upon the frag. Shrooms & zoos & softies are generally OK getting alittle cold. SPS are a little more "fragile.
You have to take into account that people may be leaving for the meeting at 9am, 2 hour meeting, then your 2 hour ride home.
So frags are out of the tank for about 5 hours or so. Not too bad.
I have a cooler that heats up, and a microwave heat pack that I use on the way in

Silvio
02/27/2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks. Does the meeting end at noon? I thought I read 2:00 somewhere.

spyro
02/27/2004, 11:27 PM
No problem keeping even SPS coral alive. The trading/selling we do is much easier on the corals than getting them from the wild. Also better than getting them online where they take 12-24 hours to get to you although the corals I have gotten from "e-tailers" have been fine. Those
"e-tailer" corals are out of the tank much longer than those at the swap, so don't worry, they will be fine.

Regards,
Chuck Spyropulos

Originally posted by Silvio
Tomorrow will be my first BRS Meeting if I can manage to get there. Can Anyone give me an idea of what to expect? How are the frags packed. I have a 2 hour drive home. How will I keep any frags alive?

Scuba_Dave
02/27/2004, 11:31 PM
Last one ended fairly early - noonish? I think we have the room "reserved" until 2p. Depends upon the discussion & questions. Time frame gives us enough time for discuusion & then the frag swap

Scuba_Dave
02/28/2004, 08:06 AM
I usually bag whatever I am taking to the meet & leave the bags floating in the tank. I warm my car up & "preheat" the cooler with a heat pack. The corals are the last thing to go in the car, right before I leave.
As Spyro said, this is a much shorter "shipping" time then what happens mail order. And today should be nice & warm!!
It's almost March!!!

one eye
02/28/2004, 08:25 AM
need advice for a frag swap....wear a helmet!

Scuba_Dave
02/28/2004, 08:27 AM
and....umm...protection...http://www.chandev.com/images/smile/bananasex.gif