PDA

View Full Version : coral beauty

ksheely
08/12/2001, 07:03 PM
what size tank do u think that a coral beauty anglefish should be located in, and what do u think it should be fed and are they reef safe thanks

Doug
08/12/2001, 07:24 PM
Hi ksheely,

I have had a Coral Beauty in my 75g tank for about two years now and it has been healthy all the time I have had it. It is always swimming in and out of the liverock and grazing for algae all day long.

As far as feeding goes, I feed mine a variety of frozen and flake foods and always try to feed some form of greenstuffs everyday. Most dwarf angles are herbivores and require greens in their diets in order to remain healthy.

As far as being reefsafe goes, the CB that I have was the perfect fish for the first year and then suddenly it developed a taste for my LPS corals and ended up killing two open brains before I could figure out what was doing it. This fish had never bothered any of the corals until that time. The problem is that there is no way for me to catch it without totally wrecking the tank so I moved all of my LPS to other tanks.

Some others have not had problems with these fish and corals but I know that I am not the only who has had a problem with the CB.

HTH

Doug

NMReefer
08/12/2001, 08:40 PM
I've got one in a 55 reef.......been active since day one....feed him assorted flakes....seaweed selects....frozen brine........occassional addition of fresh seafoods......hes never bothered any corals to my knowledge....and personally I think coral beautys are simply beautiful

Jerry W
08/13/2001, 12:24 AM
Great fish! Have one in my 56 and it is the "centerpiece fish." Eats just about everything and as stated, grazes all day. How long has your tank been set up? They do well in an established tank (at least 6 mos. running) with ample live rock. No angel is absolutely REEF SAFE! Many people have good luck, but just as many have problems with angels nipping away at corals, clam mantles, etc. It's a gamble but CB's are not the worst of the bunch in this regard. JWT

ksheely
08/13/2001, 11:08 AM
my tank has been establiesed for 1 year and it has alot of live rock, i am worried about the size though 20 gallon

Jerry W
08/13/2001, 02:02 PM
I think a 20 gal might be a little tight for a CB. Most dwarf angels need some room to swim about and graze. I think Scott Michael's book recommends at least a 30 gal for these but I'm not sure. Now, if it was the only fish in the tank, maybe, but personally, I'd go bigger. JWT

ksheely
08/13/2001, 09:05 PM
would it be ok for a couple of months, i am in the proccess of setting up a 55 gallon flat back hex fish only system

Doug
08/13/2001, 09:33 PM
Hi Ksheely

Originally posted by ksheely
would it be ok for a couple of months, i am in the proccess of setting up a 55 gallon flat back hex fish only system

IMO, a 20g sounds too small for a CB to me.

Doug

Fishy Something
08/13/2001, 09:58 PM
I would wait until your 55 was set up. Chances are that you would have to tear the 20 down in order to get the CB out in the first place when the time came to move house! Once you have a tank set up that is the worst job in the world, even in a small tank!

AM41
08/13/2001, 10:25 PM
I have a CB in a 30g. he is very happy, but he is a little cramped. By the time he gets alittle bigger it will be to small for him. I wouldnt recommend u get one unless u are getting a very small one.

Aquariust
08/13/2001, 11:01 PM
Let's not forget that Angels get that "this tank is mine" piece of mind. If you put him in a 20, then upgrade to the 55, he's gonna be mean to every new fish added to the 55. Add the CB last.