PDA

View Full Version : Regulation of the hobby trade coming?

moe_k
02/26/2004, 11:09 PM
News from MASNA that concerns us all:

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 21:07 Post subject: Breaking News - United States Coral Reef Task Force Meeting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRESS RELEASE

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

By John Brandt
Legislation Representative
Marine Aquarium Societies of North America

WASHINGTON, DC – The United States Commission on Ocean Policy (USCOP) presented a preliminary report today at the meeting of The United States Coral Reef Task Force (USCRTF) announcing that the Commission will recommend to Congress that the International trade in marine ornamental species be regulated.

The U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy will publish its report in two stages. Notification of the release of the draft report will appear in the Federal Register http://www.access.gpo.gov, as well as the USCOP website http://www.oceancommission.gov. This report will be made available to Governors and interested stakeholders early in 2004 for review and public comment. After the deadline for comment the report will be finalized by USCOP and presented to the President and Congress for the purpose of creating public policy.

Dr. Paul Sandifer, Commissioner for USCOP, revealed a list of recommended actions to be presented to Congress to preserve and protect oceans and coral reefs. One recommendation is to adopt legislation ensuring that any marine food and ornamental species imported to the United States be collected only by sustainable means. No further details were available at the time.

As mandated by the Oceans Act 2000 (P.L. 106-256), the U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy will establish findings and make final recommendations to the President and Congress for a coordinated and comprehensive national ocean policy. The new policy will address a broad range of issues, from ocean governance to the stewardship of marine resources and pollution prevention to enhancing and supporting marine science, commerce and transportation.

© Marine Aquarium Societies of North America

MASNA (USCRTF/MAC/Legislation Liaison)
MAC (Board of Directors)
CMAS-Chicago (Vice President)

ME2003
02/27/2004, 01:13 AM
What is the BRS opinion on this subject?

"One recommendation is to adopt legislation ensuring that any marine food and ornamental species imported to the United States be collected only by sustainable means."
IMHO
For over 5 years many groups have been trying to get this type
of legislation passed.
The industry has tried to develop "self regulation"
MAC certification and AMDA are examples. Many believe
these programs are ineffective.
If the industry continues ignores the problem legislation will
eventually have to fix it.
Is it correct to protect the reefs in Hawaii/Florida and destroy them in the Phillipines?
I do not believe this will pass this year. Political issues. The Bush
team has not edited the report yet.

moe_k
02/27/2004, 01:35 AM
The BRS is our membership.
It's very slow, but on an issue like this we discuss a lot and then finally come to an opinion that not everyone shares.
My opinion isn't the opinion of the group.

I guess we're like Ents. ;)

ME2003
02/27/2004, 09:10 AM
"News from MASNA that concerns us all"

I agree that this concerns us all. I did not know if there was
any agreement on the issues.

"It's very slow, but on an issue like this we discuss a lot and
then finally come to an opinion that not everyone shares."

I agree with this statement. This is a very complex subject
that needs to be discussed more just to increase awareness.
Many people that sell tank raised fish and coral frags would
benefit from this legislation. The price of fish could increase.
Making the group aware of this legislation helps people to
understand that this is an important issue.
I am not sure that BRS needs to define opinions on particular
legislation or this issue. As with many LFS issues, you may not find agreement. MASNA is concerned. BRS members should read
their position on the subject. I hope others will comment on this issue.

moe_k
02/27/2004, 12:38 PM
That's good thinking Mike.

Just a bump here so the day crowd gets a read.

Keith Sheridan
02/27/2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by ME2003

Is it correct to protect the reefs in Hawaii/Florida and destroy them in the Phillipines?

I believe you missed that, in the report above, it states that the goal would be to stop all imports as well that are deemed unsustainable. Now I don't know how that will go over in other countries, but I believe at least i the ornamental market, that the US is a large portion of that and could force change, for the good of the enviroment in the other countries.

My opinion is no such legislation will be passed, Bush or Kerry, will not pass a bill that will effectively raise the price of fish (as a food).

karl wagner
02/27/2004, 04:55 PM
I really think each of us should devote one tank to propagating a species. Most species overreproduce (R type selection) in hopes that one pair reach adulthood. In a captive setting, those numbers are highly inflated, and would reduce the demand on wild caught specimens.

So, everyone, pick a species. I'll go first... manatees.

okay, -I'm trying to do akindynos clowns. (waiting game)