PDA

View Full Version : HELP cyno

tdragon
02/26/2004, 07:56 PM
hey i have had my tank set up for about 8 months and when i first set it up i had a cyno phase but it went away and all of a suden its back with a vengance. they only thing new is i added 440watts vho. could this be the cause? also what can i do to get rid of it last time it kinda just went away not ive tried to take it all out get it off all the glass,sand and rock but to no avail. what can i do?

Bidadari
02/26/2004, 09:33 PM
I've been having the cyano problem as well for the last couple weeks. This week is much better though. I've been doing 5% water changes for 4 times & I do it every other day. Dr. Ron mention that actually changing 5% of water every day for 4 straight days will help reducing significantly the cyano.
I also siphon the cyano while changing the water. My tank is also new, so I'm hoping this is part of the cycle.
Anybody ever use Red Slime Remover? I'm very hesitant to use it since I'm afraid it will kill the beneficial bacteria, but I've seen picture of other RC people's tank "before" and "after" using RSR, it's like magic. Some people who had use it also said that RSR doesn't affect their fish, coral or any other inverts.

kcgor
02/26/2004, 09:41 PM
I had this problem about last month.. I used a Chemi-clean... With the water change the following week I splashed some water on my ICECAP ballast... Causing it to start smoking... I had to send it in for repair... With no light on my tank... after further research on Cyano I found Light helps it... So less light has the opposite effect... Which it has.... No more Cyano in my tank... everything looks great... I have yet to get my ballast back from ICECAP.... But No Cyano is a good thing... hope this helps..

Bidadari
02/26/2004, 09:51 PM
Casey, what kind of light do you have & how big is your tank?
I'm using 96W PC & thinking of upgrading to MH. Yes, light definitely makes a big different in reducing the cyano, those UV actually kills the cyano.

wrassefan
02/26/2004, 09:59 PM
Crank up the skimmer, crank up the flow. Feed less and check your water source. These are the most common. Red slime remover might work in the short term (I think it is ethromycin) but could wreak havoc on you bio. If you do the above, it will take time. Cyno doesn't go away overnight. Oh, I think a fighting conch will eat it also. I think spectrum mentioned that to me. I have a queen conch that likes diatoms but not sure about cyno.

kcgor
02/26/2004, 10:02 PM
I have a 125 gal tank... I have 660 Ice Cap with 4 4' bulbs... My Cyano went away in about 1 and half weeks... Seem to work for me...

Dubge
02/27/2004, 05:34 AM
My algea is starting to go away, about a week ago I upgraded my skimmer from a Prizm Delux to a EuroReef ES5-3 and that seems to have made an impact

Ray