PDA

View Full Version : LFS Bashing BRS????

soccer4life94
02/26/2004, 07:38 PM
My friend i went out to Skiptons today...to see if they could show up some of the setups. A lady in the front came over to help us. I told her I had been posting and reading up on the BR board. She asked me if I was a member of the Boston Reefers. I said not yet. Im just getting the equipment together. She said. "Well...be careful. Those guys dont know what their talking about, so dont listen to them. They dont know anything about chemical engineering and they dont test for anything and then wonder why all their things die."

I was like..."what? the tanks I have seen and people I have spoken with have all been superb."

I was high offended and Im not even a member of the Reef club yet. I'm not sure if this is the type thing to let the BRS know about, but if that is the type place they are running, then I will take my business elsewhere. There is a difference between thinking something about a club and actually bashing them to newbies like myself. Oh well...there's my whole dollars worth of change. Anyone else want to step up to the podium? Im alittle winded now :)

Fish Guy187
02/26/2004, 07:53 PM
Living Sea would never do any thing like that we try to recruit members for BRS all the time.

TheUltimateNoob
02/26/2004, 07:55 PM
the guys at living sea are pretty cool. nice guys.

soccer4life94
02/26/2004, 08:01 PM
Ya, I was pretty surprised to hear something like that from them. I had just finished telling them that BRS rated them as a good place the other day. The two employees just looked at eachother and laughed. Very surprising.

yaktop
02/26/2004, 08:54 PM
been to skitpon quite a few times and never heard anything of the kind. maybe not the lfs but the individual. think they've treated the BRS pretty good.

moe_k
02/26/2004, 09:07 PM
That's weird given that Steve F, one of their employees is a long time BRS member. He joined Skiptons way after joining the BRS.

soccer4life94
02/26/2004, 09:14 PM
Thats what I thought. I had heard good things about them...but the lady in the front and the guy walking the floor both didnt seem to have a very high opinion of this group. I had heard Steve was the man to talk to there... Like I said, Im not trying to cause problems, just wanted what i was told known to everyone.

moe_k
02/26/2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the tip.
I emailed Leo to see what's up.

Keith Sheridan
02/26/2004, 09:48 PM
I am a big Skipton's Fan. Never heard anything bad. Also Steve is a good guy. My favorite came a couple weeks ago when he talked a guy out of getting a fire shrimp because he had a Marine Betta, which may make short work of the $40 shrimp. He got him to test the $8 peppermint shrimp first. Smart move, still made a sale, but didn't screw the guy.

This thread is kinda scathing as I feel like all the reef knowledge I have has been gleaned from the BRS members. As well as frags and equipment.

skyedolphan
02/26/2004, 10:47 PM
I agree I do not frequent Skiptons often as I am in RI but have been able to become very freindly with both Steve and Leo (who is a fellow southerner _LOL)and have never come across anything like this... Please PLease dont make Skiptons in general accountable for some ignorant( sorry ) personal.... Hopefully between Moe Leo and Steve this will become a one time offense :) if this is in offense to any1 I am sorry I blame it on the wine LOL

Bitingthesun
02/27/2004, 01:03 PM
I know this has been said about a hundred times but...

Skiptons is a solid LFS and Steve has talked me out of wasting my money more times than I can count. I have recived mixed advice from some other's there but never "bad" advice.

Such is the way of the world.

k.

wrassefan
02/27/2004, 01:14 PM
I've only dealt with Steve also and he has been good on advice the 2 times I've been there. Suprise that anyone that works there would openly bash BRS. Technically, if you are an outsider just reading the posts, they might think we are all lunatics anyway. Just their opinions.

Greg Hiller
02/27/2004, 06:59 PM
>They dont know anything about chemical engineering and they dont test for anything and then wonder why all their things die."<

That resembles me!!!:D

I know all my stuff is dead. What I cannot figure is why the corals keep breaking the water's surface!!:D

gumhead
02/27/2004, 07:28 PM
Ya that Randy Holmes-Farley Ph.D guy has no clue about chemical engineering either LOL!!!

Greg Hiller
02/27/2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, after all, he went to that snob school (Stanford) that we always beat in football (Cal Bezerkely)! Go Cal!! :dance:

He was just a chem major though, he couldn't take those tough math classes!! :D:p ;)

ScavDog
02/29/2004, 12:33 AM
Hey Guys,

Joe and Moe here. Leo, of Skiptons, emailed Moe and assured him that there are no hard feelings between his store and the BRS. Leo is still promoting the club and recommends us to his customers. Sounds like a slight misunderstanding.

Later...

Greg Hiller
02/29/2004, 09:27 AM
You never know, the comments from the person at Skipton's might have actually just been sarcasm, the person might have actually mean exactly the opposite. It's been known to happen.

gumhead
02/29/2004, 09:29 AM
I agree, it was probably a joke. Just as Greg and I did above.

Heavydc2
02/29/2004, 10:17 AM
the proof is in the evidence... just look at the tanks of the members. we have all made mistakes now and then, but as I see it there are some amazing tanks in our club. You just can't believe everything you hear...

karl wagner
02/29/2004, 10:26 AM
I would be willing to say that people in the club kill more coral and perhaps even fish than people not in the club.

We tend to buy more, especially those specimens that are in the category of: "very little known about this as of yet unspecified peice".

gumhead
02/29/2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by karl wagner
I would be willing to say that people in the club kill more coral and perhaps even fish than people not in the club.
I would disagree with that statement. The members in the club are more educated and seeing they joined a club proves they care more and want to learn more. Just yesterday day I seen some one buying a maroonish idol not knowing what it was called but he still bought it! I see people in LFS buying anemones and SPS's saying that thing looks cool, you can tell its destine for the trash bucket....

The BRS does not kill more then the uneducated customer, no way!

karl wagner
02/29/2004, 12:18 PM
You're welcome to your opinions.

However, what we need to focus on in my opinion is providing sponsor LFS with frags and fish (babies) at a lower cost than they could get elsewhere. Until we do that, they don't really stand to gain very much from this relationship.

objectfire
02/29/2004, 03:02 PM
Skipton's was where I heard about BRS, and Steve and Phil are great. However, not everyone there has the best customer service attitude, in my experience.

As for comments that could be construed as being slams against BRS, the only similar experience of mine was a somewhat testy and rude response that I received from a cashier when asked if the BRS discount applied to their buckets of IO.

Regarding the comment that BRS members kill more fish and corals than non-BRS members, I think the poster needs to hang out in Skipton's for a reality check. Most of their saltwater customers do not appear to own test kits or be aware of the need to maintain alkalinity and calcium levels.

The only way BRS members would kill more corals and fish is if they buy more than anyone else from Skiptons. Is this the case? If so, this would not be a measure of education, but of buying volume.

Kent

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/29/2004, 03:23 PM
Yeah, after all, he went to that snob school (Stanford) that we always beat in football (Cal Bezerkely)! Go Cal!!

He was just a chem major though, he couldn't take those tough math classes!!

Hey hey hey. You lie with every word you utter. :D

Ignoring the fact that I took plenty of math, ever hear of Jim Plunkett? John Elway? Maybe you just have selective amnesia? :lol:

ME2003
02/29/2004, 04:37 PM
"I would be willing to say that people in the club kill more coral and perhaps even fish than people not in the club. "

I also disagree with this statement.
In a recent discusion a LFS owner stated that
BRS is less than 3% of our customer base. Not a direct quote.I trust the opinion of this LFS owner. From conversations in the past with other LFS owners, this is a reasonable number. For stores like Petco, It is probably less of a percentage.
Swapping frags, the support of BRS and education of the
group I believe increase the people success. I not sure it
would be possible to kill more coral/fish than 97% of people purchasing coral/fish.
The good news is that there is a large group of future BRS members.

Keith Sheridan
02/29/2004, 04:45 PM
I highly doubt the person who had made the comment actually took the time to throw statistics together to support her argument.

Seems like a quick irrational judgement, and we should no longer pay it any mind.