PDA

View Full Version : ill soft coral help please!!!!!!!

Damo78
02/26/2004, 02:18 PM
i have a finger soft coral well atleast i think its some sort of finger coral its is pinkie purplie brown and its sort of like a ball with loadsa fingers comin out of it its bot 6" wide and bout 4" tall and when i brought it i think the man who bagged it up knocked it and when i got it home some of the fingers had been broken off and its been bout a week now and the rest is thriving nice colour very plump shape and quite firm 2 the touch but the area that got broken is startin 2 go brown and bad! will it heal and will the rest die! please help!!

Foogoo
02/26/2004, 03:30 PM
Got a picture? It should be ok, most soft corals are propagated by chopping off a few pieces anyway.

Damo78
02/26/2004, 03:55 PM
na sorry i aint gotta picture i have took a small cutting off the healthy part just incase the colony dies so i have a back up if it dies i will still have a healthy cutting i have just put the cutting into a creavice in the live rock will it be able to grow onto the rock! and will the cutting look ill for a while then grow back and how long does it take to stick to the rock and start growing!

photobarry
02/26/2004, 04:13 PM
If the tissue is rotting, I suggest that you gut into healthy tissue with a clean razor blade and then expose that area to decent water flow to promote healing.

Damo78
02/29/2004, 03:16 PM
bump

photobarry
02/29/2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Damo78
na sorry i aint gotta picture i have took a small cutting off the healthy part just incase the colony dies so i have a back up if it dies i will still have a healthy cutting i have just put the cutting into a creavice in the live rock will it be able to grow onto the rock! and will the cutting look ill for a while then grow back and how long does it take to stick to the rock and start growing!

Here's what Eric would tell you: Don't treat corals like you are growing plants. Don't stick the cut end of a frag into the sand or jam it into a rock. Treat it like an open wound (that's what it is). The cut end should be exposed to good current and clean water. It is generally suggested that you lay the cutting on its side on a clean section of rock. You can temporarily secure it in place with some sort of open mesh fabric. It should be attached within a couple of weeks.