PDA

View Full Version : i want to dive but....

this is me
02/26/2004, 11:07 AM
i dunno how to swim.....
is it possible to dive without knowing how to swim.?
:(

TheUltimateNoob
02/26/2004, 11:10 AM
hmm. i'm guessing you would have a lot of difficulty. i would learn how to swim first. it's not too hard, just gotta give it some time and practice.

Scuba_Dave
02/26/2004, 11:13 AM
swimming is defintely needed. part of being certified as a diver is swimming a certain distance.

joefitz
02/26/2004, 11:16 AM
Well, you have to pass a swim test in order to get certified. I'd say you really need to know how to swim in order to dive. But that doesn't mean you have to be a great swimmer in order to dive. The swim test involves staying afloat for a period of time as well as a distance test (not terribly far).

Being able to swim is important for divers. First, there is the safety aspect...you need to be able to take care of yourself as a diver. Other people aren't always going to be there for you -- and sometimes, you may need to be there for other divers. Then of course, there is the actual dive -- diving is physically strenuous and knowing how to swim is important to minimize the work your body needs to do before, during, and after your actual dive.

Joe

Brimarbio
02/26/2004, 12:46 PM
Another thought... It's terribly important, for a safe and fun dive, to be comfortable in both your gear AND the water. I'm not sure about you personally but I know MOST people who can't swim aren't too keen to be in water, let alone, under it. I say learn to swim and just get comfortable with that first, maybe even take up snorkling and fre diving for a bit. Once you're at ease with all that THEN takle diving. It's a great sport and not hard if you know what you're doing but it's gotta be taken very seriously as the results of a mistake can be terminal!

papafish34
02/26/2004, 12:51 PM
I can't really add to the discussion but I see you are a student. Most collegese have a pool and you should be able to find a basic swim class, a few high schools have swimming as well.

Plus there is always the Y which is usually cheep and convenient.

If some instructor says you don't need to swim to learn to dive DON'T take lessions from them.

bdr127
02/26/2004, 12:55 PM
Many community centers have programs for "learn to swim" and stuff like that.... for a fee, of course, but they can be a good opportunity to learn lots of new things that you wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to do (wine tasting, knitting, computer classes, painting, etc.)

ME2003
02/26/2004, 01:02 PM
You should try snorkeling first. This is a great way to improve
swimming skills and get used to some of the equipment. You can
see a lot of reef and fish snorkeling. I have seen acropora,
schools of rays and many fish snorkeling. That is how I started
before diving.

this is me
02/26/2004, 01:51 PM
I think i'm too old to learn how to swim? i'm 20!
I tried swimming before but everytime when i'm under the water, i panicked!!When i tried to float, i sunk!! Thats why i kind of gave up on swimming. But eversince i started this hobby, I'm considering giving myself another chance at it.Definitely this summer, i'll take a couple of lessons.

nanonano
02/26/2004, 02:02 PM
Holy Cow 20 years old. You have both of your feet in the grave. If thats the case I've been dead for 20 years.:):)

nanonano
02/26/2004, 02:03 PM
ahh I also don't know how to swim

drmooncricket
02/26/2004, 02:07 PM
Never to old to learn, just try leaning a different way... you can float, everyone can float... in fact most dead people can float with out even thinking about it... what happens is your brain keeps getting in the way... your mind is to busy worrying about all the things that can happen and you lose control... try relaxing and go to an adult swim class... or have someone hit you over the head with something hard to knock you unconscious and throw you in the pool face up, you will be floating before you know it... J/K about the getting hit over the head thing, don’t try that, BAD IDEA...

Scuba_Dave
02/26/2004, 02:11 PM
I couldnt float as a kid, sank like a stone. Plus side was I learned to swim underwater VERY well. When in High school I could do 2 1/2 laps underwater, reg pool. Now I'm lucky if I can do 1

bdr127
02/26/2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah, the problems definitely sound mental-related... If you got into an adult swim (not the cartoon!) class, you'd probably be more comfortable around people in the same situation. Having a good teacher will ease your fears, prevent panic, and make you much more comfortable.

My fiancee used to teach swimming lessons to little kids (ages 1-5) every summer from age 14-21. Of course, there were a ton of kids that were terrified of the water, but she was able to ease their fears and they always turned out to be great swimmers.

Have no fear... it's never too late to learn! :)

Dubge
02/26/2004, 07:08 PM
Man you got it made if you just need to learn to swim!
I would love to dive but I am deathly affraid of sharks, I can swim with the best of them, pools, ponds, lakes, above water and under water but the 2nd I step in the ocean past my knees I panic and start thinking of Jaws :)

Ray

mcgyver3
02/26/2004, 07:19 PM
news flash every BODY can swim its just a matter of getting your mind to believe it. Swimming is a part of diving, so learn to swim first. Depending on where you live you might be able to link it up with a discover Scuba class.

Scuba_Dave
02/26/2004, 07:23 PM
South Shore Divers in Weymouth did a discover Scuba class last year. Not sure about this year or about cost

mcgyver3
02/26/2004, 07:32 PM
Were are our PADI Assistant Instructors, so we can get this real "old" 20y old swimming with the fishes. Or should we just have a Pool Comp at the next meeting?

this is me
02/26/2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by mcgyver3
Were are our PADI Assistant Instructors, so we can get this real "old" 20y old swimming with the fishes. Or should we just have a Pool Comp at the next meeting?

yeah, lets all teach me how to swim:D
man i got a 95 in my gym class back when i was a sophmore in
hi-school because i didnt know how to swim. while other students get 100.

mcgyver3
02/26/2004, 07:59 PM
they only took off 5%, your Gym teacher must have come out of the Air Force or something.

this is me
02/26/2004, 08:01 PM
yeah but my friends look at my gym grade and laugh! "95 for gym? whats wrong with you?" I participated in verything except for swimming(2weeks)

Keith Sheridan
02/26/2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by mcgyver3
news flash every BODY can swim

I am gonna step out on a limb here and say you must not be a parapelegic?

Anyway, I remember when I first tried snorkeling, I was about 12. I could swim well at the time, but everytime I submerged my head, I would take a few breaths, try to relax, but before I knew it, my breaths would get shorter and I'd be hyperventilating, totally freaking out. Well I scrapped snorkeling until I was 20. Strapped on the mask and fins, jumped right in*, and the fear was just not there anymore.

What I am trying to say is, just go for it, give it another try and maybe all your phobias, will be gone.

*Actually I kinda floundered around in knee deep water for five minutes, trying to put my fins on while being slapped by moderate, but continuous waves.

Scuba_Dave
02/26/2004, 10:10 PM
We have a quadrapelegic who scuba dives with us.

http://www.highbeam.com/library/doc0.asp?docid=1G1:20625452&refid=ink_key

Keith Sheridan
02/27/2004, 12:36 PM
Alllllllrighty then!

Scuba_Dave
02/27/2004, 01:18 PM
Yeah, 1st time I dove with him it scared the cr@p outta me...

There is a picture of him, its the one with the big dive flag, also our wedding picture:
http://massbaydivers.com/

bdr127
02/27/2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
There is a picture of him, its the one with the big dive flag, also our wedding picture:
http://massbaydivers.com/

You're married to him? :p :D

Scuba_Dave
02/27/2004, 02:26 PM
bahahaha....no...my wife is standing with me