PDA

View Full Version : Custom 'starphire' tanks from Mitch @ IA

joefitz
02/26/2004, 09:17 AM
Hey all,

I've just been made aware that the tanks Mitch at Inter-American has been selling as 'Staphire' tanks MAY not be made of Starphire glass. I haven't been able to 100% confirm this yet as I haven't spoken to Mitch to get to the bottom of this but I wanted to get this message out there in case anyone is considering placing an order from him or have placed an order but not received the product yet. I'll post more information when if and when I've sorted things out but you may want to look at the thread I posted in the Vendor Experiences forum.

It appears he is using low-iron glass, not starphire glass. Low iron is clearer than standard glass but it is most definitely not anywhere near as clear as Starphire.

I'm not sure if he knows about this situation -- maybe his glass dealer is deceiving him -- but I'm pretty sure he has been confronted on the issue at least once before so I'm not sure what to believe. Maybe there is another explanation; I don't know.

As an FYI, I couldn't find anyone to beat his price even using standard glass and I still love my tank, so most likely would have still have ordered it anyway, but I'd feel a heck of a lot better about things if I knew from the start that I was getting low-iron glass and not Starphire glass.

Once again, I am not 100% certain the accusations levied against Mitch/IA are true. But the evidence presented so far is fairly compelling. If anyone in the club has a true Starphire tank, I'd love to hear from you.

Joe

Scuba_Dave
02/26/2004, 10:07 AM
The thread for anyone interested:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314728

I'm going to do a little research also....see what I find

Greg Hiller
02/26/2004, 10:10 AM
One quick way to know. Starfire glass (at present) is ONLY available at 1/2" size, no larger. If you have larger it is either a laminate of two pieces of starfire, or a different brand of low iron glass. FWIW, I saw one end of a tank that came from IA, that had low iron glass (don't know if it was starfire or not) and it was EXTREMELY clear. Unfortunately, the other panel of glass in the tank, laminated ?starfire? was significantly less clear.

Scuba_Dave
02/26/2004, 10:26 AM
Heres a link to Starphire PPG web page

http://www.ppg.com/gls_commercial/starphire/app-entrance.htm

Direct quotes:
"Starphire glass doors can set a new standard thanks to their jewel-like clarity and sparkling blue edges."

"Starphire glass is available in thicknesses from 2.5mm to 12mm and is stocked regionally to assure consistent supply reliability. "

Greg Hiller
02/26/2004, 12:06 PM
12 mm = 0.47 inches