PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Isle

fawkes027
02/25/2004, 09:08 PM
Seen anything good there lately? Plan on stopping by on Sunday and want to have something to look forward too. :D

Scuba_Dave
02/25/2004, 09:10 PM
usually they have a good selection of fish

fawkes027
02/25/2004, 09:17 PM
Any reccomendations on a good sized fish for a 46 bow? I was thinking a flame angel.

Armando
02/25/2004, 09:26 PM
I was there yesterday, they have lots of fish available. If I had room I would definitely have picked some.

As far as frags (repeat that 6 times fast) not much available. But I know a VERY good place in Boston to get them ;)

fawkes027
02/25/2004, 09:32 PM
Hey I do too. He's got a cute dog too.

Bidadari
02/25/2004, 09:42 PM
They just got new shipment on Tuesday. So they should have lots of fish. I am planning to go there tomorrow to see what they have.

fawkes027
02/25/2004, 09:44 PM
Hmm....mind posting back here and letting me know? HAHA!

Bidadari
02/25/2004, 09:49 PM
Do you have a particular fish that you are looking for?
I can check tomorrow if they have it or not & let you know.

Pinkskunk
02/25/2004, 09:50 PM
came back this afternonn.

lots of percula
few orange skunk
more brown saddleback clown
huge gsm clown pair
and among other fishes, like tangs, angels and such....

corals? for me nothing seems reasonable price so i pass.

fawkes027
02/25/2004, 10:01 PM
Am interested in a flame angel.

What I really want for my tank is a nice blue fish. But not a damnsel. Anyone have any ideas?

mantishunter
02/25/2004, 10:09 PM
Was there yesterday. I went to get some silversides and look around. I witnessed a young couple with an infant in a stroler. The mom was reading a fish ID book to check compatability obviously to make impulse buys. The husband was speaking with an employee. The employee had returned from the stock room with a 150 watt PC hood. The customer wanted a 200 watt PC hood. The employee said he could order one and wait or this is the last one they had and it would be fine. As the conversation headed over to the coral and frag tank the employee said all this will grow fine with this light. The customer looked at and asked about a coral it was a Devils Hand. The employee said it was great, take it home cut it up in pieces and put them where you want. The customer asked what about those pointing to Acros. Those will be great under these lights. I knew where the conversation and subsequent purchases were going. I knew that the store had a sucker. I was disgusted, left and I won't be back. I have had similar advise from that shop in the past, fortuniatly I knew better.

moe_k
02/25/2004, 10:32 PM
What I really want for my tank is a nice blue fish. But not a damnsel. Anyone have any ideas?

What about a coral beauty? Not blue - but purple and red/orange. Pretty fish. I've seen them at a couple of LFS I've visited recently.

Pinkskunk
02/25/2004, 10:47 PM
a "BLUE" fish?

Hippo or Powder blue :D

Nothing in this world is more true blue than a hippo :rolleye1:

Hi Mantis,

You could have told him about the BRS and have them check us out. Maybe that will steer him at the right direction and save tons of money.

We are very fortunate for having this club and RC. I dont know where i will be today if it weren't for RC and the BRS.

DWS
02/25/2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by fawkes027
Am interested in a flame angel.

How about a few chromis? I have four in my tank that I bought initially to get started with and eventually trade in, but I have really taken to them. Since I have been feeding the tank Cyclopseeze they have become even more flourescent.

mantishunter
02/26/2004, 07:04 AM
Pink Skunk,
Believe me I would have liked to. How many of us have wittnessed this there and elsewhere, but were unable to interfear. It is not my place nor can I prohibit people from doing business or giving bad advise... Especially as visible as I am with BRS. Believe me when there is opportunity I promote BRS and all clubs for that matter. One point is that its too bad more LFS don't take the high road and develope customers for life instead of capatizing on the one time sale. As we know some do.

Pinkskunk
02/26/2004, 07:22 AM
Mantis,

i hear you. myself experienced it first hand.

Hear is an idea:

Our club is growing bigger and strong. Maybe the BRS should open a reef specialty store to:
1) Raise money for our club
2) Steer newbie to the right direction

with the member head count we have now, everyone volunteer a few hours a week, we think would have enough coverage for the store hour.

with the variety of corals we have from over 500 members, our frag tanks for sale will have the most to choose from>

But the down side is we will put all the LFS out of business, then we will no longer having anyone support us :)

JD46
02/26/2004, 12:18 PM
fawkes027,

I recently put a flameback angel in my 46. Awesome fish. Does not touch any of my corals or my clam.

Cherub (pygmy) angles have more blue (less orange), are a little cheaper, and supposedly have similar behaviors to the flameback.

Greg Hiller
02/26/2004, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw someone at TI unloading some hot pink Zoanthids...looked REALLY nice. ;)

Ron,

FWIW, some of the Acropora that TI sells were GROWN under the amount of light the person in the store was buying. It really depends upon the particular species/morph of Acro. It also of course depends upon the depth of the tank. Please don't be too quick to judge a shop.

Greg Hiller
02/26/2004, 12:28 PM
>a Devils Hand. The employee said it was great, take it home cut it up in pieces and put them where you want<

That's also a pretty accurate account of the hardiness of Devil's hand.

Violin
02/26/2004, 12:45 PM
Nice addition to your 46 bow.

http://reef-kuki.com/pics/00large/kuki.jpg

$5,500 US dollars.

fawkes027
02/26/2004, 12:52 PM
A hippo in a 46? I better now even comment on that or else I'll have people staked out in front of my house. HAHA!

I'm probably just going to have to go look and see what's there. For some reason, I never leave with what I plan on. I know I want a fish, but we'll see.

As for LFS's giving incorrect info - my mother recently started a 20 gal and stopped off at a local one (shall rename nameless). They told her she could keep a yellow tang in her 20 as long as its the only fish.

fawkes027
02/26/2004, 12:53 PM
Well now, $5500 for a fish. Um...yeah where do I stand in line for that one?

Armando
02/26/2004, 12:55 PM
how about a coral beauty

kastanzaman
02/26/2004, 01:20 PM
I second the flameback angel. I had one until it went carpet surfing, great fish though.

karl wagner
02/26/2004, 02:10 PM
If you want a blue fish, how about this?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=188

or this.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=436

of course, either of these could be ordered through an LFS. I'm not here to promote DFS.

karl wagner
02/26/2004, 02:12 PM
Also, a hippo tang (small enough) is not a bad choice.

It's okay to buy things small and grow them out in a small tank.

By the time that fish outgrows your 46, you'll probably have a 460.

Armando
02/26/2004, 02:20 PM
mmm why liveaquaria pictured Yellowhead Jawfish as blue? they're yellow.

there is the blue spoted one, but lot more $.

karl wagner
02/26/2004, 02:23 PM
maybe they borrowed reefermadness's 20 K bulbs...

Armando
02/26/2004, 02:32 PM
:lol:

fawkes027
02/26/2004, 07:55 PM
Oh I like the bluefin angel fish!

fawkes027
02/26/2004, 07:56 PM
hmmm....I'd love tang but I don't want to deal with Ich. :D

And if I did decide to get a baby and grow it out, I'd do a yellow one. Just like their personality.