PDA

View Full Version : What is the Ideal Water Circulation for a 50gal?

Reggae Reefer
02/25/2004, 02:59 PM
I have a 50gal reef with 65lbs of LR, 85lbs LS, and an AquaC Urchin PS in a 29g sump/refugium. I am wondering what the I have a Rio 2100 sump return which should be putting out about 375g/hr at this height, it goes into a U tube return which will be a spray bar soon. I researched and found that many people use Maxijet 1200s, so I bought some. I was planning on using two, one in each corner, on a wave maker/timer.

The 1200s seem too powerful though, even one seemed like too much(visually). The fish get blown around a lot, and the current seems to be stronger than you would want for larger soft corals. I have a couple clownfish and firefish. I will be keeping large xenia, gsp, zoos, mushrooms and wall hammer. I bought a Maxijet 600 and 900 test them, and they seem more appropriate. However, I read all over RC that people use much more circulation than that. I wonder how the current doesn't overpower their tanks(keep the large softs blown over like they are in a hurricane, and force the fish to constantly fight the current).

At this point I thinking of using two Maxijet 900s, one in each corner with a wavemaker and the sump return with a spraybar, that would be 835g/hr... is that enough?

I know that a lot of people have 50gal reefs here... what is everyone using for water circulation?

Donkeykong
02/25/2004, 03:03 PM
Circulation is a matter of what is in your tank and what works. If you where planning on SPS I would say go with a little bit more. But as long as there are no dead spots in the water and all the corals and fish are acting normal then you will be fine