PDA

View Full Version : fuzzy rocks and brown algae ?

deadtom
02/25/2004, 12:24 PM
I have a problem with my rocks in my 75. over the last few weeks they have been getting fuzzy ( not hair but short whitish fuzz) and the brown algae has been growing over the whole tank within hours over cleaning it.

Also, let me say that I just changed my RO filters within the last few weeks because they were way overdue for changing. Some things from the water supply may have been added to the tank for a month or so. I have recently put a Turboflotor 1000 on the tank and it has been going for about 2 weeks. The skimmer I had before never worked so it was like not even having one.

I though it was nitrates and tested it. It was very high so I did a water change 25%. It droped to about 20 ppm but it made no affect on the fuzz or algae growing.
What else could it be?

Also my snails have not been moving at all during the day so they have not been cleaning the rocks. What would cause all of this?
I included a picture.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/25/2004, 12:43 PM
20 ppm nitrate is still plenty to drive various forms of algae. I'd look to reduce phosphate and nitrate, and possibly get more organisms that eat algae (fish/snails/crabs, etc).

These articles may help:

Phosphorus: Algaeā€™s Best Friend
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/25/2004, 12:44 PM
I presume that the snails do move at night?

deadtom
02/25/2004, 12:46 PM
i just did a 25% water change a week ago. Can I do one again today? Should I take out more water?

Are there any other effective ways besides water changes and adding critters?
What is causing the snails not to clean?

deadtom
02/25/2004, 12:47 PM
yes I think they are all in different places in the morning usually. Some are some aren't. None have died though.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/25/2004, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about when the snails are active, as long as they are sometimes.

The articles describe many ways to reduce nitrate and phosphate.

deadtom
02/25/2004, 12:54 PM
Is it safe to do another water change today. I did 25% a week ago. Can I change more than 25% to reduce the nitrates?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/25/2004, 12:58 PM
Yes, but water changes will not solve the problem.

deadtom
02/25/2004, 01:03 PM
I have a fuge with caulerpa and there is not really any algae growing in it. Why isn't it sucking the phosphorus and nitrate out of the water?

I meant the water change to reduce the amount of impurities that was put in from the overdue RO filter water. I am sure it had phosphate and other stuff in it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/25/2004, 01:10 PM
Some folks have better success with various macroalgae species than others. Lighting, availability of iron, quality macoralgae stock, and presumably other factors can all impact Caulerpa growth. You might try Chaetomorpha alongside it.

deadtom
02/25/2004, 01:15 PM
oh ok

thanks for the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/25/2004, 01:20 PM
You're welcome.

This forum has lots of tips and discussion on Caulerpa and other macroalgae:

Marine Plants & Macroalgae
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=1000&forumid=176