PDA

View Full Version : OT We are Doomed (Virus at work)

Scuba_Dave
02/25/2004, 09:51 AM
1st time for everything, it got thru. what a pain in the rear.
I say we hunt these bast@rds down & kill em
Public floggings until they are bleeding then feed them to the sharks.
Make it a pay per view thing

anyone else been hit?

drmooncricket
02/25/2004, 10:14 AM
my companies office in NY was hit and disabled yesterday... thinking about going with a mac for all my next pc's, and i am a long time pc user and mac hater... no viruses for Apple's that i know of and a smoother OS

jciwlsn
02/25/2004, 10:16 AM
Yup, our server went down for 2 days and the IS guys worked 24 hour shifts to get it rebuilt. Lost a lot of stuff.... :mad2:

etszoo
02/25/2004, 11:01 AM
Our got hit at christmas. Got a new one. Everything was lost
on the old one. Hd it repair and gave it to my daughter.

denvig
02/25/2004, 11:10 AM
I’m all for 20 years or more jail time for people that do this. It can, and has, taken down business and cost millions of dollars. People think it’s fun and a joke. It needs to be taken more seriously by the law, and very harsh punishments handed out to try to deter it.

joefitz
02/25/2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by drmooncricket
my companies office in NY was hit and disabled yesterday... thinking about going with a mac for all my next pc's, and i am a long time pc user and mac hater... no viruses for Apple's that i know of and a smoother OS

Don't kid yourself about there not being any viruses on Macs...I'm not suggesting you wouldn't be better off with Macs (to each his own) but don't assume you are 100% protected simply because of the platform. Viruses exist on all platforms.

Joe

ggomez
02/25/2004, 12:31 PM
I agree with joefitz, Macs are acceptable to viruses since their new MAC Operating System runs on a Linux kernel and Linux is very acceptable to viruses (but not anywhere close to Microsoft)
(Finally I start to like Macintosh, now that they have a real OS)

The only way to prevent viruses is to use the Windows Automatic Update service and have it auto update every day and disable windows file sharing which is enabled by default and have the latest anti-virus and being extremely careful on opening attachments from un-known senders.
You can find the automatic update service in control panel.

Syris
02/25/2004, 02:09 PM
Yeah we (company I work for) got hit Monday afternoon by the Mydoom.F variant. My servers auto update from Symantec but only in the AM so by the time they updated Tues morning someone already got the virus e-mail and RAN the attachment:rolleyes: http://www.wildbillreef.net/images/Smiles/violent/Guillotine_anim.gif
I thought everyone knew not to open or run files from people they don't know but I quess there is always that one knucklehead.
Took me all day Tues and some of today to clean the virus from the network and restore files from backup that were deleted by the virus.
I quess I can't complain to much because in the 7yrs I have run IT at my work we have never been hit by a virus. My boss of course still asked me "What can we do to prevent this in the future..?"
I said "Remove company Internet e-mail" :D he didn't think it was funny..oh well.

weege1
02/25/2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by drmooncricket

Ya they never target MACs because no one has them :p

Well my company wasn't hit hard put most of my customer's were, this virus chews up bandwidth like mad thus causing not only PC problems but network problems as well....

KAS
02/25/2004, 03:37 PM
We've been running Macs at home for over seven years, and never gotten a virus (knock on plastic). Only my daughter's laptop at college has OS X, and she's been warned about attachments.

Syris
02/25/2004, 03:51 PM
Look out another new Virus on the run today! W32.Netsky
My e-mail servers are going nuts blocking this one at least.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.c@mm.html

ggomez
02/25/2004, 04:11 PM
The interesting thing is whoever created this virus will probably get hired by Symantec or McAFee and make top dollar.
Mother of all creatures! it makes me want to cry...

drmooncricket
02/25/2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by ggomez
The interesting thing is whoever created this virus will probably get hired by Symantec or McAFee and make top dollar.
Mother of all creatures! it makes me want to cry...

or they already do...

bdr127
02/25/2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Syris
I thought everyone knew not to open or run files from people they don't know but I quess there is always that one knucklehead.

If everyone was smart enough not to run virus-laden email attachments, then these things would never spread! It amazes me how gullible and unaware some people are. :rolleyes: I've been using a computer nearly my entire life (my father works in high-tech, so we always had computers around), and I have never had a virus on my computer..... It's really not that hard to avoid. Oh well... whatcha gonna do...

beerguy
02/25/2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by ggomez
I agree with joefitz, Macs are acceptable to viruses since their new MAC Operating System runs on a Linux kernel and Linux is very acceptable to viruses (but not anywhere close to Microsoft)
(Finally I start to like Macintosh, now that they have a real OS)

Sorry guys - I know this is a regional forum but I had to interject. Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, not Linux. There are currently no know viruses but does have an occasional security hole discovered; albeit nothing like MS. It was however just recently rated the most secure OS available:

http://www.mi2g.net/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.net/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php

Cheers and stuff

Rick and Sandy
02/26/2004, 07:39 AM
Boy...am I glad I'm no longer an Internet Infrastructure Engineer, foresaking all this excitement in favor of owning a Deli/Convenience Store on cape Cod.

Good Luck all!

Scuba_Dave
02/26/2004, 08:03 AM
It's Thurs...and restore process is still ongoing...estimated loss of 90,000 files...unrecoverable....local hard drives...other files that were created during the day & not on a backup..