PDA

View Full Version : OT: What to do with old computer monitors and furniture.

clutchcargo
02/24/2004, 10:17 PM
Not exactly reef related ..:p. alright not at all and I apologize for posting here. Does anyone know where I can drop off old computer monitors for recycling? Also, anyone thrown out a couch before? We've got an old crappy couch that we need to toss. Can we put this out with our weekly trash or can we drop this thing someplace? I don't want this to end up sitting on the side of the road in front of the house. I suppose I could sawzall it and throw a little away every week.:D
Thx

KAS
02/24/2004, 10:35 PM
In our town, you have to buy a sticker at the town hall ($30), adhere it to the large size item and then the trash folks will pick it up and dispose of it.

As for monitors, hazardous materials, ... there are specific days/places to drop that stuff off. In my town, I think monitors cost $10 to have them recycled.

Hating to pay that much to recycle stuff, I bring my stuff to friends in Waltham where it can all be picked up and recycled on the side of the road for free.

Know anybody in Waltham?

stang8s
02/24/2004, 10:46 PM
i live in the wrong town for that! Trash sticker is $200 for the year. On top of that a sofa would be $5 and monitors/tvs are $25 each! And you have to bring the stuff to them!

crimson156
02/24/2004, 11:05 PM
ha 30 in my town for monitors

moflow
02/25/2004, 12:16 AM
you can drop off one of the old monitors at my house for free :)

bdr127
02/25/2004, 01:05 AM
Just put it on the back of a pickup... Go out driving late at night and open the tailgate..... :p j/k, of course... not that I've actually done that... ;)

ducker
02/25/2004, 10:33 AM
Many towns/cities have one or two days out of the year for recycling of hazerdous materials (batteries, monitors, etc...) and there is a fee associated to it.

If the couch is usable, look to see if you can donate it to a church or other non-profit community. That's what I did with a couch that I didn't want, but was usable.

Dubge
02/25/2004, 11:32 AM
Here is one way to handle it.....go out and offer the guys a few bucks to take what you have, 20 bucks is usually a good amount to offer, 99% of them will take it....how do I know this....I drive a garbage truck for a living :)

Ray

clutchcargo
02/25/2004, 01:01 PM
Thx for the ideas. The couch is a POS so I don't think it's donatable. I'm going to try leaving the sofa on the street and maybe it will eak under the max size limit (2 cubic yards). Sorry Moflow I don't think the monitor works anymore, before I knew that the trashmen wouldn't pu the monitor, it was left outside for trash pickup and it got weathered.

This is going to be a real problem for people once HDTV takes hold and all of a sudden there's millions of TVs and computer monitors to dispose of. I remember when I was a kid, my family just put our old console TV out on the street for trash pickup and they picked it up. Out of sight out of mind.

I wonder what this place is going to look like 200 yrs from now.
Things that make you say hmmmmmm.
:rolleyes:

Scuba_Dave
02/25/2004, 01:12 PM
Easy way to get rid of a computer monitor:
Get a brand new monitor box from someone, package monitor in box, bring to Best Buy on a busy day, Park car near entrance, unload monitor, have child stay with monitor, park car away from store, child then walks to car.

Or gift wrap it, same result, Someone will "steal" the monitor

Too bad Lechmere went out of business, you could buy a new monitor, package the old monitor in the box, return it, and they would give you your $$ back
I was the Tech that they were supposed to have check stuff BEFORE issuing a refund. Can't tell you how many times they didn't do it & the item was an old POS

jbundas
02/25/2004, 01:26 PM
For couch - reconfirm trash pick-up size limit and buy a sledgehammer.

For monitor - take sledgehammer to it as personal reward after getting couch picked up.

Dubge
02/25/2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jbundas
For monitor - take sledgehammer to it as personal reward after getting couch picked up.

Ever see a picture tube explode? I got cut and I was standing 10 feet away :)
If you go that way just becarful if you can hit it in the back stem to release the PSI

Ray

clutchcargo
02/25/2004, 01:44 PM
Picture tubes implode, don't they?

Dubge
02/25/2004, 01:50 PM
Well if they do this one sure didn't.....it was also dropped into the back of the garbage truck

Aneille
02/25/2004, 02:02 PM
I dropped my old PC monitor out the second story window into my yard. We opened a window and were emptying our attic. It was pretty cool! Although picking up the glass pieces out of the yard wasn't so much fun.

Scuba_Dave
02/25/2004, 03:35 PM
They can implode, we had a TV emit a high screeching noise one night, we all jumped behind the couch. It stopped before too long TV was dead. So we again hid behind the couch, & whipped bricks at the tube. It just caved in. I'm assuming the vacuum went, thus no implosion