PDA

View Full Version : Tag

ByTor
02/24/2004, 08:12 PM
Tag, how's the rxr doing??? Did you test and buffer before starting it??? Where did the levels go after a week???
Did you get your controller yet?

Tagamet
02/24/2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ByTor
Tag, how's the rxr doing??? Did you test and buffer before starting it??? Where did the levels go after a week???
Did you get your controller yet?

Thanks for asking. I was bringing up the CA level with turbo calc and baking soda, but stopped using it when I started the rxr, because I didn't want more than one variable going on (as far as adding stuff). The gate valve to adjust the amount of effluent is really touchy, so the amount coming out was either feast or famine. Now I have what I think is a good amount of effluent, at a good ph of both effluent and the tank (6.67 and 8.2/8.3), In the mean time the ca and alk have plumeted, so I added turbo calc tonight to bring it up (some). I'm hoping that the CA and alk will stay up now - that the rxr will maintain the levels. Oh, the Ph controller did come in and in the meantime (I just couldn't wait) I bought a ph monitor, so now I can measure the tank and the effluent at the same time. I have 2 fresh Salifert test kits flying here for Thursday. What brand of kit do you use to check alk? I have at least 3 different brands and they all read different. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but I think I may be on the good side of the learning curve (with this, not much else).
Any suggestions?
Tagamet

ByTor
02/24/2004, 08:59 PM
Salifert works for me...

They make a micro ball valve that works well. check usplastics.

are you using the calculator link I sent ya?

what I do is test, calculate, then buffer. Buffer alk first then Ca. Just mix and dump in sump. :rolleyes: retest in 24hrs.
Your effluent ph sounds good. Don't go chasing numbers to hard for the first month. setup the controller and just let it run. Remember your going to need to add kalk to offset the low pH high alk levels you will start to see.

As for numbers I try and shot for 4.0 meql with a Ca of 430 to 440. Let the main systems pH fall where it will. With that controller you may have to dial it to a lower pH setting to keep it shooting enough CO2 into the rxr so as to keep the effluents pH below 6.8... Just some food for thought...

Tagamet
02/24/2004, 09:12 PM
Salifert works for me...
They make a micro ball valve that works well. check usplastics.
are you using the calculator link I sent ya?
what I do is test, calculate, then buffer. Buffer alk first then Ca. Just mix and dump in sump. :rolleyes: retest in 24hrs.
Your effluent ph sounds good. Don't go chasing numbers to hard for the first month. setup the controller and just let it run. Remember your going to need to add kalk to offset the low pH high alk levels you will start to see.
As for numbers I try and shot for 4.0 meql with a Ca of 430 to 440. Let the main systems pH fall where it will. With that controller you may have to dial it to a lower pH setting to keep it shooting enough CO2 into the rxr so as to keep the effluents pH below 6.8... Just some food for thought...

Thanks. I printed this out. Jorge form reeftek is coming out with a needle valve mod to get away from the balky gate valve. I have the controller set to cut off the CO2 at 6.5, for fear that the media would turn to mush if it went much lower than that. After lights out, I add 6 liters of clear kalk water (I stopped adding the vinegar after talking to you at the swap). When the lights go out the ph drops about 2 tenths, but the kalk brings it right back up. Oh, and yes, I do use the calculator (or another one just like it) to determine how much turbo or baking soda to add. It was really dropping fast before the rxr.
Tagamet

ByTor
02/24/2004, 09:14 PM
OKie Dokie Tag... Just sit back and watch'em grow....

Tagamet
02/24/2004, 09:17 PM
OKie Dokie Tag... Just sit back and watch'em grow....

Your lips to God's ears.
Tagamet

Tagamet
02/25/2004, 09:19 PM
WooooHoooo! 24 hours later and the CA is still between 425 and 430. No additives other than the 6 liters of clear kalk at night.

One other (not the last) question. The controller had stopped the CO2 this morning (actually slowed, there are still some bubbles) and it's still off this evening. Since the effluent is still coming out at 6.4, is it still pumping out CA? I'm assuming it'd almost have to be, since the water is circulating in the media and the ph effluent is that low. (AND the CA, yippee, is still "up").

Tagamet

Tagamet
02/26/2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Tagamet
WooooHoooo! 24 hours later and the CA is still between 425 and 430. No additives other than the 6 liters of clear kalk at night.

One other (not the last) question. The controller had stopped the CO2 this morning (actually slowed, there are still some bubbles) and it's still off this evening. Since the effluent is still coming out at 6.4, is it still pumping out CA? I'm assuming it'd almost have to be, since the water is circulating in the media and the ph effluent is that low. (AND the CA, yippee, is still "up").
Tagamet

Just a progress report:
CA now 445, but the alk is 3.6-3.7, a little lower than the 4.0 I'm to shoot for. Like you said, I guess I shouldn't "chase numbers" for a while, but this is SOOOOO much better than it had been.
Happy Tag

Tagamet
02/27/2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Tagamet
Just a progress report:
2/26/04 CA now 445, but the alk is 3.6-3.7, a little lower than the 4.0 I'm to shoot for. Like you said, I guess I shouldn't "chase numbers" for a while, but this is SOOOOO much better than it had been.
Happy Tag

2/27/04 CA 460 !, Alk 3.89
Tomorrow's my birthday (the big 467), and if these numbers stay like that, I won't need a cake!
Tagamet
(Ducks and covers for all the "You'll need a big fire extinguisher", "Carefull not to burn the house down", "Don't set the reef on fire" jokes).