PDA

View Full Version : Heat Problems!?

DEIGNAN14
02/23/2004, 07:07 PM
I currently have a ten gallon with 80 watts of pcs over a covered tank...

Right now evaporation is not really an issue...

However, I am about to buy a 20 high setup that comes with a 250 watt MH...

The current owner has it in an air conditioned room in the summer...

Am I going to have a problem when the summer rolls around with either tank??? Will it be significantly worse with the MH??

I have no central air and my house can get pretty hot in the summer... What do you all think??

Thanks alot!
Jason

DEIGNAN14
02/23/2004, 07:42 PM
Whack!

Dubge
02/23/2004, 08:03 PM
If your house gets hot I would say invest in an AC, when I switched to MH I had to put a fan in my canopy to keep the temp down

Ray

Scuba_Dave
02/23/2004, 08:04 PM
I had a 250w MH over a 60g w/a 5g sump. I had a fan on the sump & one in the canopy. On hot days I still had heat problems

DEIGNAN14
02/23/2004, 08:08 PM
This light is over a 20... The fans will def be on there...

I was just looking at chillers... they seem like they would be a cost effective solution... do they draw alot of power?? anyone recomend a chiller that will handle say 20-60 gallon system??

Also, what I really want to know is will I have problems with my pc tanks as well.... If im going to have the problem with either tank than I might as well upgrade to the halides and hold on for the ride right!

Thanks ahead!
Jason

Dubge
02/24/2004, 04:59 AM
If you are going to have problems with both just buy an ac that way it will cool your room as well as your tanks, IMO the chiller is just going to transfer the heat into your room and make it hotter for you.

Just my .02

Ray

Scuba_Dave
02/24/2004, 07:30 AM
I ran an A/c for maybe 2-3 weeks last year to keep the house cool & the tank

Dubge
02/24/2004, 01:21 PM
That is all you ran it? I run my AC so much and so cold you can freeze ice cubes on the counter......I might have to add another heater to my tank ;)

Ray

soccer4life94
02/24/2004, 01:36 PM
If you have central AC you should be ok? My apt is half in the basement and half at street level. So the house stays about 72 during the summer. no direct sunlight hits the tank. Am I going to have heat problems? Im looking at getting HQI for lighting...anyone? I know I prob shouldnt be asking this type thing since my tank is still empty, but trying to plan ahead.

soccer4life94
02/24/2004, 01:38 PM
Opps sorry. Its a 72g bowfront with canopy. Im going to install a two fans into the canopy as well.

soccer4life94
02/25/2004, 12:16 AM
nothing from anyone huh....hmmm...

moe_k
02/25/2004, 12:30 AM
If the house is kept at 72, I would think your tank will be fine.

I had VHOs on my 55. One mid-spring day I came home, it was hot outside, and the apartment was hot. The tank was at 86 degrees - that's too hot for me.
I closed the windows and turned on the AC.
In a short time the tank was back to 78, as was the apartment. It stayed hot outside for 4 days, but my apartment and tank stayed cool.
The heat from the lights makes more work for your AC, but like stated above, a chiller will just put the heat into your room. Not acceptable to me. Cool the immediate environment and keep the tank from overheating.