PDA

View Full Version : Red mite cure has been revealed.

Mike Accardi
02/23/2004, 04:10 PM
I didn't see it posted anywhere on this specific forum
(it is posted in the SPS forum).

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45787

Marco67
02/23/2004, 04:14 PM
Wow Great news !
One of our members is a Vet ....I'm sending him an e-mail now!

Mike Accardi
02/23/2004, 04:19 PM
Marc, I am about to order some online from Canadapharmacy.com
but if we can get some locally (sooner), I'll wait.

Let me know if our fellow member can come through.

mike

Scuba_Dave
02/23/2004, 04:25 PM
I think I have an old triple beam balance scale at home. Have to dig it out & clean..um...it off...and see what it will measure
also, my sister works in paharmacy at Ma General, she has some pestle & mortar I think...

Marco67
02/23/2004, 04:47 PM
Mike, Dave I can't imagine there would be a problem with him prescribing it for me. He has been my vet for over 7 years so I'm sure that legally he would be covered. According to Dustins post it comes in 6 tabs/pkg and each tab treats 360 gallons, I'd be happy to split it with you and whomever. But I will need to draw the line at splitting my excess with friends. I just couldn't bear the thought of being the guy that supplied "the great BRS tank crash of 04".
That being said ....
What an awesome day for SPS keepers
Marc

Syris
02/23/2004, 05:00 PM
If anybody is going to order some count me in.
I just discovered these little bastards for the first time about 2 weeks ago on a new frag I got:mad2:
Hook me up people:D

gumhead
02/23/2004, 05:07 PM
I want in!!!!

gumhead
02/23/2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
I think I have an old triple beam balance scale at home.
Ummmm what did you need that for??? :smokin:

Marco67
02/23/2004, 05:12 PM
Yea Dave what ?
FWIW those 3X beams might be great for 28g but we would need something accurate to 1 mg.

Mike Accardi
02/23/2004, 09:40 PM
I've ordered it online.

Haven't received the confirmation message yet, so I don't
know when it'll arrive.

Any ideas on the scale ??

Dustin
02/24/2004, 01:04 AM
Be careful with the medication guys. Also, make sure you follow through with the complete series of treatments.

I posted an updated set of instructions here

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

JeremyR
02/24/2004, 01:22 AM
I have a digital scale if you want to drive down. I cannot aquire medication for people tho.

3_high_low
02/24/2004, 02:15 AM
Jeremy,

I'll be down so you can weigh it out for me. I just hope I don't get pulled over by the cops on the way home:D.

Thanks to Dustin for coming up with this treatment and thank you to all the brave pioneers that have risked their livestock for the trials.

The only thing that is discouraging is thinking about how I'm going to catch all my acro crabs.:(

Marco67
02/24/2004, 07:05 AM
Jeremy and Dustin,
Thanks a lot guys you have definitely make you mark on this hobby!

I had a long talk with my vet last night (also a reefer and club member)
He made an excellent point about dosage, Id love to hear your thoughts on. Seeing as we are only estimating total "actual" water volume. He felt that there would be no harm in just using a pill splitter to measure dosage. That would get you well within your say 20% margin of error when estimating. Also giving the nature of the drug and the way it works he felt it would be totally useless if under dosed yet safe if dosed heavy.

Of course I'm talking about systems in the 100gal range 1/4 pill.
I guess anything smaller I can see why a splitter wouldn't work.

Wadda yas think ?
-Marc-

BTW I'll be picking mine up today and I'll be keeping 1/2 package.
So the other half will be up for grabs.

JD46
02/24/2004, 07:28 AM
FYI:

If you order from CanadaPharmacy.com, coupon code 273 should save you $5.00. It worked for me.

Scuba_Dave
02/24/2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Marco67
Yea Dave what ?
FWIW those 3X beams might be great for 28g but we would need something accurate to 1 mg.

I think this one will measure down to 1/10 of a gram...for some reason I needed accuracy. I'm just not sure if I threw it out ages ago...

Mike Accardi
02/24/2004, 09:05 AM
Jeremy, I'll take you up on that offer. Thanks very much !

Dustin
02/24/2004, 09:23 AM
Everyone seems to be looking for a short cut. So far every tank was treated with medication measured out to 0.001 grams. As I stated on reefs.org, It is true that you are estimating your water volume. I would not suggest guessing the weight of the pill, on top of that guess. When you add the two potential mistakes together, you have a much higher chance over over dosing, or under dosing.

If your careful, you can make a pretty accurate guess on how much water is in your system. 7 other people have done it successfully.

Marco67
02/24/2004, 11:03 AM
#@%&!
Darn crashes!
Lost that whole response...... Anyhow Dustin the short of it was Thanks for all your hard work.
I fully intend to follow the protocol, and was only offering up some "food for thought". I posted that before I saw you had already gone around with it 27 times on RdO.

Thanks again (Jeremy too)
Marc

kastanzaman
02/24/2004, 11:11 AM
Not to change the subject here, but when exactly did the red mites become an issue. Are these something that have been around for a considerable time and are just now being noticed. Or are these mites something that were recently introduced and are now being spread from tank to tank?

Dustin
02/24/2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks for seeing the point. I am now dealing with the guessers on the thread on this board. Could I ask those of you who are willing to weigh the medication properly and follow the treatment protocol properly to do everything in your power to encourage people to stick to the guidelines and actually weigh the medication and treat 3 times??

Thanks

Mike Accardi
02/24/2004, 11:18 AM
Dustin, I'm sure you can count on the BRS members who apply
the treatment to adhere to the established protocol.

Thanks very much for your work on this,

Mike

Marco67
02/24/2004, 11:59 AM
kastanzaman
It's my understanding that the first mention of them was published back in the 30's (not sure which author maybe someone can clarify)
I was first aware of them personally and in other BRS members tanks just less than a year ago and they have spread since. They are so small and so hard to notice that until they are pointed out most people wouldn't notice.
The nice thing about this cure is that all the people and vendors that either had them and wouldn't admit it and the people /vendors that didn't want to know. Can either come forward or can just quietly dose and move on with trading/selling.

Personally I'm excited, I love fragging, trading, selling and everything that goes with it, But since discovering them almost a year ago I've just let my frag tank sit.
So let the games resume

kastanzaman
02/24/2004, 01:17 PM
I have them as well and have used the seachem reef dip treatment with varying degrees of sucess, so it's good to know that there is a way to dose the entire tank as well.
It just seemed curious to me that these have likely been around for quite sometime, but have recently recieved scrutiny as being harmful.

Greg Hiller
02/24/2004, 06:47 PM
The species was identified only in the last few years. I think the paper I have was dated in the 80's, but on the copy I have it is hard to read the data, etc.

Tegastes acroporanus, FWIW

stang8s
02/24/2004, 08:53 PM
I can get Mortar and Pestle sets starting at $7.99 for ceramic ones, bit cheaper for wooden.. Anyone interested let me know, maybe i should start another post.

Dustin
02/24/2004, 08:56 PM
Aquatic Eco systems has a real cheap little ceramic one.

Dustin