PDA

View Full Version : Nooooooooooooo

Vilas
08/10/2001, 11:03 AM
Well, we have a hecl of a heat wave here, and power decided to die.
http://www.boston.com/news/daily/10/heat.htm - early this evening, they're saying. I was in my apartment for a few minutes and was drenched in sweat. The tank is probabl;y 97 degrees...sigh.
I added ice, found a battery powered airstone (gee, that'll help) and I'm praying. I've been manually stirring the damn thing, trying to get SOME circulation.

Everyone send me your hope! :(

tyoberg
08/10/2001, 11:06 AM
Aeration will probably be most important if you have no way to control the temp. As temp goes higher, the O2 saturation capacity of water decreases.

Sounds like you're doing what you can.
Just out of curiousity, how are you posting this message w/ no electricity? Work or laptop? A long extension cord could work wonders.

Ty

filishy
08/10/2001, 11:09 AM
Hang in there Vilas!

Things will be back to normal before you know it ...

Mary. :)

grafxguy
08/10/2001, 11:10 AM
Good luck. That heat wave just pasted me yesterday. It is very nice today as I see you will have tomorrow. My reef was up to 87 degrees and my fish only was up to 92 degrees. Everything did ok. Hopefully you can get your power back up but keep up what you are doing. I have a chest freezer where I have about a shopping bag full of RO ice cubes made up. I just add them to the sump for my top off and it can easily cool the tank off by a couple of degrees. Sorry to hear you have lost power. eric

Vilas
08/10/2001, 11:14 AM
Thanks for everyone's support. I'm sick to my stomach thinking about it.

I'm in the office, I'd gone home earlier to get in that airstone. I couldn't stand to even BE in there, it was so hot.

Sighhhhhhh.

Agu
08/10/2001, 11:17 AM
Good Luck !!!!

What you might try doing is to take out scoops of water and pour it back in. That'll help oxygenate the water, create flow, and you'll get some(probably not much) evaporative cooling. At least you'll feel like you're doing something:( .

Agu

budhaboy
08/10/2001, 11:19 AM
go get some computer back-up batteries- they might not power the lights for much more than minutes but it would keep the pumps and stuff going, also run out to the icecream shop(Baskin Robins 'round here)and get some dry ice(its frozen co2) and maybe drop some in the proeint skimmer(I would think with the air input for the skimmer itself that you wouldnt have TOO much co2 running into your tank)this is just a sugestion dont know if its feasable or not though...

Vilas
08/10/2001, 11:27 AM
Well, I was going to try to get a UPS, however, alas, you have to charge them overnight before using them..hell, I'll get one anyways, we also need one for our web and mail server.
Agu, hehe, you hit the nail on the head. I went home and used a turkey baster to move the water, pulling up basterfuls and squirting it back. It got some air in there, at least.

I'm so damned depressed at this moment. :P

Nagel
08/10/2001, 11:45 AM
MY thoughts are with you vilas. I know you've been through worse before (the crash) so I hope someone upstairs has some mercy on you. Think positive, and keep your fingers crossed. I know I have mine crossed for ya.

StrikeThree
08/10/2001, 12:12 PM
Hey your PM mailbox is full empty it so I can send you a reply-

Brian

Starmy
08/10/2001, 12:20 PM
There's some sort of convertor that will pull power from your car battery via the lighter plug. I don't know how much power it generates, but I'd think it would be enough to keep ap ump moving or something...:confused: I know Sam's has them, I've looked at one before, and they weren't that expensive, esp. not compared to the value (more than monetary) of what's in your tank...
Sorry for what's going on, the times when you're basically helpless are the worst. :(

mgk65
08/10/2001, 01:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

My central air conditioning went out yesterday, so I can feel your pain.

A good fan and reduced ambient temps around 83-85 have kept my aquarium ok.

I've been waiting for the service man all day! Grrr... :uzi:

mgk

JimD433
08/10/2001, 03:39 PM
Vilas

Went my power went out, I rented a gas generater. Pleanty of power to run my tank equipment and a small a/c unit. They are not that expensive. If you live in an Apt., its probably not feasable. Good Luck, hang in there.

Jim

hesaias
08/10/2001, 03:48 PM
Things are positive, I hope!

Another help would be remove the hood, its a little better, lets heat escape. Its 4:50 EST, Hoping you have power and a living tankfull:)

Neal358
08/10/2001, 04:06 PM
i would go to the hardwair store and rent a generator and if you now some one at your lfs see if they can lend a chiller or if you have the $$$ get a small window ac unit

3_high_low
08/10/2001, 04:43 PM
Hopefully the power will be back on soon. If not, maybe you can buy or rent a generator.

good luck

DukeDog
08/10/2001, 05:42 PM
Good luck ,I hope all is well when you get home.
Jeff

nk57
08/10/2001, 07:57 PM
Ugh... I feel your pain. 101 degrees here yesterday. So far we have not lost power but I have all battery inverters ready to go. If you can get a hold of some dry ice, that would be great too. Even a 20% water change with some cool water might help. Take heart, its thundering and raining here in NY and the temp is down to 79 so I think the temp is about to change.

Nancy

Blithe
08/10/2001, 11:15 PM
Villas, Fill some soda bottles with water and freeze them, then float them in the tank. Or fill some zip lock bags with ice and float them. Good Luck!!!

Orm Embar
08/11/2001, 10:26 PM
Wasn't there an article in AFM a few months back about using marine batteries (or possibly car batteries?) as an emergency power source? Otherwise, the battery airpumps with stones (PennPlax makes one, I think, that you plug in and it turns on when the power goes out) and the UPS are the only other ideas I know of.

And FANS--I can cool my tanks down a heck of a lot with high fan power . . . you just need to add lots of replacement freshwater to offset evaporation. Generators are great as mentioned above.

HTH